Large Scale Cloud for Biometric Identification
This article aims to propose a large-scale cloud architecture to serve for biometric system that enrols large population. In identification mode of biometric system, a query template is matched with all stored templates in the database and a match is said to occur with the one with which match-value becomes highest. Hence the identification time = n ×t where n = database size and t = 1:1 matching time. As the database size n becomes sufficiently large, the identification time increases significantly. This leads to long response time of the system. However, achieving the n matching processes in parallel can bring down the total identification system from nt to t. This speeds up the proposed system n times than its sequential counterpart with the trade-off of the cost of resources for cloud and extra communication. The proposed architecture also takes care of threat to compromise secured data as they are passed to different nodes. This architecture passes inputs to cloud nodes hiding the identity-holder’s information so that stealing the identity data of an individual will not compromise the security of the system.
KeywordsCloud architecture biometric authentication large database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blanton, M., Zhang, Y., Frikken, K.B.: Secure and Verifiable Outsourcing of Large-Scale Biometric Computations. In: IEEE Third International Conference on Social Computing (SOCIALCOM), pp. 1185–1191 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Kohlwey, E., Sussman, A., Trost, J., Maurer, A.: Leveraging the Cloud for Big Data Biometrics: Meeting the Performance Requirements of the Next Generation Biometric Systems. In: IEEE World Congress on Services (SERVICES), pp. 597–601 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Panchumarthy, R., Subramanian, R., Sarkar, S.: Biometric Evaluation on the Cloud: A Case Study with HumanID Gait Challenge. In: IEEE/ACM Fifth International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, pp. 219–222 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Shelly, Raghava, N.S.: Iris recognition on Hadoop: A biometrics system implementation on cloud computing. In: IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems (CCIS), pp. 482–485 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Stojmenovic, M.: Mobile Cloud Computing for Biometric Applications. In: 15th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS), pp. 654–659 (2012)Google Scholar