Finding Directions to a Good GPS System
GPS devices have become commonplace today, almost as common as cell phones, especially for the developed and emerging economies. In this research paper, the development of a predictive model for selecting a GPS system for use based on the analysis of the interface design is described. The research presents subjective data from user interaction surveys, and objective data using the Keystroke Level Model (KLM). After comparison, inferences or predictions are made based on the analysis of available data. The research makes valid contributions to the GPS interface design field, and the GPS market. A higher level of accuracy can be achieved with data from a larger user survey group, and use of additional models, and an automated tool such as CogTool.
KeywordsGPS Garmin TomTom Magellan GoogleMaps DeLorme Street Atlas KLM user survey predictive model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Garmin Nuvi 40 LM information from Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports (2013), http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/gps/gps-ratings/models/overview/garmin-nuvi-40lm-d60905.html
- 3.LG Escape P870 Technical Specifications. LG USA, http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-P870-escape/technical-specifications
- 4.Google Maps for Mobile Help. Google, http://support.google.com/gmm/?hl=en&topic=1616942&rd=1
- 5.DeLorme Street Atlas Plus 2009 DVD. GPS City (2009), http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-street-atlas-plus-2009-dvd.html#specifications
- 6.DeLorme Street Atlas 2009. mp3Car (2008), http://www.mp3car.com/delorme-street-atlas/118482-delorme-street-atlas-2009-a.html
- 7.Review: DeLorme Street Atlas. Laptop GPS World, http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/586-there-anything-better-than-delorme-street-atlas-usa
- 8.Card, S.K., Moran, T.P., Newell, A.: The psychology of human-computer interaction. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.Holleis, P., Otto, F., Hussmann, H., Schmidt, A.: Keystroke-level model for advanced mobile phone interaction. In: CHI 2007: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, New York, NY, pp. 1505–1514 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Kieras, D.: Using the Keystroke-Level Model to Estimate Execution Time (2001), http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/kieras/GOMS/KLM.pdf
- 11.Teo, L., John, B.E., Blackmon, M.H.: CogTool-Explorer: A model of goal-directed user exploration that considers information layout. In: Proceedings of SIGCHI Conference, New York, NY, pp. 2479–2488 (2012)Google Scholar