B2C Websites’ Usability for Chinese Senior Citizens
As E-commerce develops fast in Chinese market, so grows the need for online shopping of Chinese senior users. However, The senior users are still the niche market and they tend to be excluded from the “target users”. To design a usability test on existing B2C websites based on the Chinese context, we integrated the User Centered Design into the whole process. A preliminary study with 48 Chinese seniors helped to get insights into the Chinese senior users, which directly guided the development of the usability test protocol. Then we conducted usability tests with 16 participants selected from the preliminary study. According to the results of the usability test, the overall usability performance of the mainstream Chinese B2C websites is concluded and whether the “user-driven usability test” has brought a different perspective is discussed.
KeywordsUsability test E-commerce Chinese senior citizens B2C websites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ling, Z.: Exploring the trend of Chinese B2C e-commerce’s development. J. E-Commerce 31, 22–23 (2011) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 2.Pernice, K., Nielsen, J.: Usability For Senior Citizens: Design Guidelines Based on Usability Studies with People Age 65 and Older. Nielsen Norman Group, http://www.nngroup.com/reports/senior-citizens-on-the-web/
- 5.Chen, L. : Usability Design Research Of Online Shopping Site For The Elderly. D. Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2007) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Dong, J., Salvendy, G.: Human-Computer Interaction: User Centered Design and Evaluation, pp.16-20. Tsinghua University Press (2003) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Ecommerce Usability Improvements, http://www.nngroup.com/articles/ecommerce-improvements