Macro-adaptation in Conversational Intelligent Tutoring Matters
We present in this paper the findings of a study on the role of macro-adaptation in conversational intelligent tutoring. Macro-adaptivity refers to a system’s capability to select appropriate instructional tasks for the learner to work on. Micro-adaptivity refers to a system’s capability to adapt its scaffolding while the learner is working on a particular task. We compared an intelligent tutoring system that offers both macro- and micro-adaptivity (fully-adaptive) with an intelligent tutoring system that offers only micro-adaptivity. Experimental data analysis revealed that learning gains were significantly higher for students randomly assigned to the fully-adaptive intelligent tutor condition compared to the micro-adaptive-only condition.
Keywordsmacro-adaptation intelligent tutoring systems assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dedic, H., Rosenfield, S., Lasry, N.: Are All Wrong FCI Answers Equivalent? In: Proceedings of the Physics Education Research Conference, Portland, Oregon, July 21-22 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Evens, M., Michael, J.: One-on-One Tutoring by Humans and Computers. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Graesser, A.C., VanLehn, K., Rose, C.P., Jordan, P., Harter, D.: Intelligent tutoring systems with conversational dialogue. AI Magazine 22(4), 39–41 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lehman, B., D’Mello, S.K., Strain, A.C., Gross, M., Dobbins, A., Wallace, P., Millis, K., Graesser, A.C.: Inducing and tracking confusion with contradictions during critical thinking and scientific reasoning. In: Biswas, G., Bull, S., Kay, J., Mitrovic, A. (eds.) AIED 2011. LNCS, vol. 6738, pp. 171–178. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rus, V., D’Mello, S., Hu, X., Graesser, A.C.: Recent Advances in Conversational Intelligent Tutoring Systems. AI Magazine 34(3), 42–54 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.VanLehn, K.: The Behavior of Tutoring Systems. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 16, 227–265 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.VanLehn, K., Lynch, C., Schulze, K., Shapiro, J.A., Shelby, R., Taylor, L., Treacy, D., Weinstein, A., Wintersgill, M.: The Andes Physics Tutoring System: Lessons Learned. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Education 15(3) (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.VanLehn, K., Jordan, P., Litman, D.: Developing pedagogically effective tutorial dialogue tactics: Experiments and a testbed. In: Proceedings of SLaTE Workshop on Speech and Language Technology in Education (ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshop) (2007)Google Scholar