Proteins as Nanomachines: Hysteretic Enzymes Revisited
This chapter is dedicated to the recently deceased Professor Valeriy Kharkyanen, my dear friend and long-standing coauthor. In this mini-survey, I am describing the basis and development of the concept of the dynamic molecular self-organization we coined more than 20 years ago when searching for the most adequate approach to analysis of the functioning of biomolecules, proteins–enzymes in particular. In a broader sense, the concept concerns any macromolecular system or nanomachine with structurally flexible active centres.
KeywordsFractional Polynomial Nonequilibrium Phase Transition Dichotomous Noise Actinic Light Intensity Photoinduced Electron Transfer Reaction
Unfortunately, the paper  was the last written in coauthorship with recently deceased Professor Valeriy Nikolayevich Kharkyanen, a prominent Ukrainian scientist in theoretical physics and physics of biological systems, whose exciting and productive collaboration I was so privileged to enjoy for so many years. This chapter is dedicated to him.
I also thank my other coauthors of many works in the field, especially A.O. Goushcha and Yu.M. Barabash for performing many high-quality experiments and N.M. Berezetskaya for excellent programming.
- 6.Frieden C (1970) Kinetic aspects of regulation of metabolic processes: the hysteretic enzyme concept. J Biol Chem 245:5788–5799Google Scholar
- 7.Rabin BR (1967) Cooperative effects in enzyme catalysis: a possible kinetic model based on substrate-induced conformational isomerization. Biochem J 102:22c–23cGoogle Scholar
- 13.Agmon N (2000) Conformational cycle of a single working enzyme. J Phys Chem B 104:7830–7834Google Scholar
- 16.Goushcha AO, Manzo AJ, Scott GW, Christophorov LN, Knox PP, Barabash YuM, Kapoustina MT, Berezetska NM, Kharkyanen VN (2003) Self-regulation phenomena applied to bacterial reaction centers. Nonequilibrium adiabatic potential: dark and light conformations revisited. Biophys J 84:1146–1160CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Christophorov LN, Holzwarth AR, Kharkyanen VN (2003) Conformational regulation in single molecule reactions. Ukr J Phys 48:672–680Google Scholar
- 21.Zeldovich YaB (1938) Adsorption on a uniform surface. Acta Physicochim URSS 8:527–530Google Scholar