A Comparative Study of Traffic Properties for Web Pages Optimized for Mobile Hand-Held and Non-mobile Devices
Even though the mobile Web is gaining more and more importance in the Web environment, relatively little is known about the traffic properties of Web pages optimized for mobile handheld devices (MHDs). This paper explores some characteristics of Web sites optimized for MHDs and compares them to their non-mobile counterparts. This is done using actively initiated measurements for which the homepages of the 500 most popular Web sites on the Internet have been contacted. The results show that most mobile versions of the pages are smaller than the non-mobile versions. The average mobile version of a homepage is about 30% smaller and similarly less complex as the non-mobile version.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anam, R., Ho, C.K., Lim, T.Y.: Web content adaptation for mobile devices: A greedy approach. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA) 1(4), 1027–1042 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Babu, G.S., Srivatsa, S.: Design and implementation of web prefetching solution. International Journal of Engineering and Technology 2(1), 99–102 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Butkiewicz, M., Madhyastha, H.V., Sekar, V.: Understanding website complexity: measurements, metrics, and implications. In: Proceedings of the 2011 ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 313–328. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Falaki, H., Lymberopoulos, D., Mahajan, R., Kandula, S., Estrin, D.: A first look at traffic on smartphones. In: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 281–287. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Fielding, R., Gettys, J., Mogul, J., Frystyk, H., Masinter, L., Leach, P., Berners-Lee, T.: Hypertext Transfer Protocol – HTTP/1.1. RFC 2616 (Draft Standard) (June 1999), http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt, updated by RFCs 2817, 5785, 6266, 6585
- 9.Jain, A.K.: User-definable images in bookmarks, US Patent App. 09/478,585 (January 6, 2000)Google Scholar
- 12.3GPP: TR 25.892, Feasibility Study for OFDM for UTRAN enhancement. 3GPP Technical Report (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Alexa Internet Inc.: Top 1 million homepages, updated daily, http://s3.amazonaws.com/alexa-static/top-1m.csv.zip (accessed May 24, 2013)
- 14.Evidon, Inc.: Ghostery browser plugin, http://www.ghostery.com/ (accessed July 15, 2013)
- 15.Gartner, INC. Gartner identifies the top 10 strategic technology trends for 2013, http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2209615 (accessed July 15, 2013)
- 16.tcpdump: http://www.tcpdump.org/ (accessed July 19, 2013)
- 17.ZDnet: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/android-quietly-partners-up-with-chrome/2547 (accessed July 17, 2013)
- 18.Seal, D.: ARM architecture reference manual. Pearson Education (2000)Google Scholar