Complex Networks Applied to Communication Management in Emergency Crisis
The Nuclear Emergency (NE) influence domain spreads over a large number of systems of different nature. Nuclear Emergency Plans (NEPs) are usually designed using a top-down approach, establishing a hierarchy working as a command chain. Although this provides advantages in terms of control, it might not be flexible enough to face unpredicted emergent behaviours due to complex interactions among the systems involved. Using a real case study, this work discusses the results of the communication and command chain network analysis to facilitate the assessment of key indicators to improve the NEP: resilience, adaptability and responsiveness.
KeywordsNuclear emergency Nuclear emergency plan Complex networks Communication
Authors have been supported by Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (CONSOLIDER CSD2010-00034), Regional Government of Castilla y León (VA056A12-2), BPMSat and University of Valladolid. Special thanks to Delegación del Gobierno en Castilla y León and INSISOC’s colleagues.
- 1.B.O.E. (Spanish Government Gazette) (Jan 1985) Law 2/1985, 21 January, on Civil ProtectionGoogle Scholar
- 2.B.O.E (Spanish Government Gazette) (Sept 2009) Royal Decree 1428/2009, September 11th, on the modification of the nuclear emergency basic plan approved in the Royal Decree 1546/2004Google Scholar
- 4.Galán JM, Izquierdo LR, Izquierdo SS, Santos JI, del Olmo R, López-Paredes A, Edmonds B (2009) Errors and artefacts in agent-based modelling. J Artif Soc Soc Sim 12(1):1Google Scholar
- 6.Langlois L (2012) Accepted November 26th 2012, unpublished. IAEA action plan on nuclear safety. Energy Strategy ReviewGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ramirez M, Ruiz C, Gonzalez JL, Lopez A (2013) Modelling of a nuclear emergency plan: a systems of systems engineering approach. 8th International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SoSE). http://www.insisoc.org/SoSE2013/. (in press)
- 11.Ruiz C, Gonzalez JL, Ramirez M, Lopez A (2013) Modelling of a nuclear emergency plan: command chain network analysis. Intelligent systems and decision making for risk analysis and crisis response: proceedings of the 4th international conference on risk analysis and crisis response, Istanbul, Turkey, 27–29 August 2013Google Scholar
- 13.Turoff M, Chumer M, Van de Walle B, Yao X (2003) The design of a dynamic emergency response management information system (DERMIS). J Inform Technol Theory Appl 5(4):1–35Google Scholar