Buckling of Plates on Rotationally and Warping Restrained Supports
- 940 Downloads
The paper deals with elastic buckling of plates, having warping and elastically restrained against torsion supports, under uniaxial compression. The minimum energy principle is applied, regarding the isolated plate as part of an infinitely wide stiffened panel, reinforced by longitudinal stiffeners and transverse beams, despite of classical solutions, where two coupled transcendental equations are solved. The displacement field is developed into double sine trigonometric series and the solution convergence, in terms of buckling coefficients, is investigated. Simple design buckling formulas for isolated plate panels, as function of supporting members’ torque and warping rigidity ratios, are derived by curve fitting. Finally, several stiffened panels are analysed and the proposed formulas are compared with the relevant results obtained by some FE eigenvalue buckling analyses, carried out by ANSYS.
KeywordsBuckling analysis Energy principle Elastically restrained plates
The work has been financed by the University of Naples “Parthenope”, Department of Science and Technology.
- 1.Campanile A, Mandarino M, Piscopo V (2010) On the exact solution of non-uniform torsion for beams with asymmetric cross-section. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Issue 31, July 2009, pp. 46–53Google Scholar
- 2.Evans JH (1960) Strength of wide plates under uniform edge compression. Trans SNAME, 1960 n. 68, pp. 585–621Google Scholar
- 3.Gerard G, Becker H (1954) Handbook of structural stability, Part I. Buckling of flat plates, NACA Technical Note, 1954, No. 3781Google Scholar
- 4.Hasegawa A, Asce AM, Ota K, Nishino F, Asce M (1976) Buckling strength of multiple stiffened panels. Proceedings of the Specialist Conference “Methods of structural analysis”Google Scholar
- 5.Lundquist E, Stowell EZ (1942) Critical compressive stress for flat rectangular plates elastically restrained. NACA Technical Note, 1942, No. 733Google Scholar
- 6.Paik JK, Kim JY (2000) Bucking strength of steel plating with elastically restrained edges. Thin-walled Structures, 37Google Scholar
- 7.Piscopo V (2010) Refined buckling analysis of rectangular plates under uniaxial and biaxial compression. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Issue 46, October 2010, pp. 554–561Google Scholar
- 8.Piscopo V (2012) Local and Overall Buckling of Uniaxially Compressed Stiffened Panels, Sustainable Maritime Transportation and Exploitation of Sea Resources – Proceedings of the 14th International Congress of the International Maritime Association of the Mediterranean, IMAM 2011Google Scholar
- 9.Timoshenko SP, Gere JM (1985) Theory of elastic stability. Mc-Graw Hill International Book Company, 17th editionGoogle Scholar
- 10.Timoshenko SP, Woinowsky-Krieger S (1959) Theory of Plates and Shells. Mc-Graw Hill International Book CompanyGoogle Scholar