Graphical Spatialization Program with Real Time Interactions (GASPR)
- 482 Downloads
There is a dominant paradigm that links playback of audio files in a multi-channel sound system. It consists of a "top view" (or 3D) representation of the listening room with speakers set virtually in this space. The main drawback of this paradigm is the lack of order and harmony of trajectories representation leading to highly complex systems. In addition, it is very difficult to have an overview of a sound piece whole spatialization process. GASPR software gives the composer a new graphical representation of trajectories in space and time. It is based on a programmable behavioral video game engine. It is also possible to use any kind of sensors to control it live. GASPR relies on the RGB (red, green blue) color coding working on three axes: time (x), sound setup (y) and intensity of each sound (z). This paradigm opens up new doors for interactive surround sound composition.
Keywordssurround sound spatialization interaction trajectories video game engine sound behavior graphical representation color mapping sound installation sound art
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shadow_Collectif, Art collective group from Paris, created in (2010), http://shadowcollectif.wordpress.com/
- 2.Sound Island, project, Thierry Dilger (2002), http://www.virtools.co.kr/dc/minisite/MiniSite/html/e03_DEMO_view_SoundIsland.htm
- 3.Holophon software from GMEM, real time software for sound trajectories, http://dvlpt.gmem.free.fr/web/static.php?page=Holophon_main
- 4.Iannix software, open source graphical sequencer, http://www.iannix.org/fr/
- 5.Copernicus, N.: mathematician and astronomer, father of the heliocentric model, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus
- 6.Matrix3’s CueStation, spatialization software for large venue / show, http://www.meyersound.com/products/matrix3/
- 7.Virtual sound source positioning using vectore base amplitude panning, Ville Pulkki, AES (1997), https://aaltodoc.aalto.fi/bitstream/handle/123456789/2345/article1.pdf?sequence=2
- 8.Dilger, T.: A new visual paradigm for surround sound mixing. In: Poster for the ICSA First International Convention on Spatial Audio, Detmold, Germany (November 2011), and Engineering Brief Presentation for the 132 AES Convention, Budapest, Hungary (April 2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Atken, M.: visual artist, http://www.msavisuals.com/
- 10.Spatium, sound spatialization tool with physical models, http://spatium.ruipenha.pt/