Non-fragile Robust PI Controller Design Using Co-variance Matrix Adaptation Evolutionary Strategy
This paper discusses the application of Co-variance Matrix Evolutionary Strategy (CMA-ES) in the design of non-fragile robust PI controller. The desired maximum sensitivity of the closed loop system is considered as an objective and success rate of stability under probabilistic controller uncertainty is taken as a constraint for non-fragile robust PI controller design problem. Success rate of stability is calculated using Monte Carlo simulation (MCS) under probabilistic controller perturbation. CMA-ES finds the optimal controller parameter based on robustness objective and nonfragileness constraint. The Single Input Single Output (SISO) first order sugar cane raw juice neutralization process and second order Irrigation canal systems are considered as a test systems. The performance of the CMA-ES designed non-fragile robust PI controller is compared with the flat phase concept based PI controller and Astrom suggested PI controller for both test systems. Simulation results demonstrated that CMA-ES based non-fragile robust PI controller has better performance in robustness as well as non-fragileness.
KeywordsCMA-ES non-fragile robust PI controller maximum sensitivity probabilistic parametric perturbation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Keel, L.H., Bhattacharyya, S.P.: Robust, Fragile or Optimal. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 42(8) (August 1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Whidborne, J.F., Istepanian, R.S.H., Wu, J.: Reduction of Controller Fragility by Pole Sensitivity Minimization. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 46(2) (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Astrom, K.J.: Control system Design (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Ho, M.T.: Non-fragile PID controller design. In: 39th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Sydney, Australia (December 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Wittwer, J.W.: “Monte Carlo Simulation Basics From” Vertex42.com (June 1, 2004), http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelArticles/mc/MonteCarloSimulation.html
- 12.Hansen, N.: The CMA Evolution Strategy: A Tutorial (June 28, 2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Takahama, T., Sakai, S., Iwane, N.: Solving Nonlinear Constrained Optimization Problems by the ε Constrained Differential Evolution. In: 2006 IEEE Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Taipei, October 8-11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.O’Dwyer, A.: Handbook of PI and PID Controller Tuning Rules. Imperial College Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Mor˘arescu, I.-C.: Stability Crossing Boundaries and Fragility Characterization of PID Controllers for SISO Systems with I/O Delays. In: ACC 2011 (2011)Google Scholar