Crop Yield Forecasting Using Neural Networks
The crop production forecasting has become an important issue, now, as it is a key factor for our economy and sustainable development on account of increased demand of the food grains with growing population. It helps farmers and government to develop a better post-harvest management at local / regional / national level, e.g., transportation, storage, distribution. Additionally, it helps farmers to plan next year’s crop and government to plan import/export strategies. This work is based on the yield forecasting of the pearl millet (bajra) in the Jaipur region of Rajasthan, India. The proposed method uses a back propagation artificial neural network to forecast current yield of the crop with respect to the environmental factors using time series data. The obtained results are encouraging and much better in comparison to a recent fuzzy time series based methods for forecasting.
KeywordsCrop yield forecasting Pearl millet Time series Correlation analysis Neural network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chatterjee, A., Venigalla, M.M.: Travel Demand Forecasting for Urban Transportation Planning. In: Kutz, M. (ed.) Handbook of Transportation Engineering, vol. 34, ch. 7, pp. 7.1–7.34. McGraw-Hill (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, N., Ahuja, S., Kumar, V., Kumar, A.: Fuzzy time series forecasting of wheat production. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering 02(03), 635–640 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Crone, S.F., Dhawan, R.: Forecasting Seasonal Time Series with Neural Networks: A Sensitivity Analysis of Architecture Parameters. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 2099–2104 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Sivanandam, S.N., Sumathi, S.: Introduction to Neural Networks Using MATLAB 6.0. Tata McGraw Hill (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Kandil, N., Khorasani, K., Patel, R.V., Sood, V.K.: Optimum Learning Rate for Backpropagation Neural Networks. In: Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE/CCGEI 1993), pp. 465–468 (1993)Google Scholar