Accelerated Simulation of Membrane Computing to Solve the N-queens Problem on Multi-core
Membrane computing or P Systems are distributed and parallel computing device that inspired their computation from cell biology. In this study, a new model of membrane computing with active membranes is defined for solving the N-queens problem. The model contains two membranes, but the inclusion of several objects and rules within each membrane. This model increases the parallelism of previous Membrane computing with active membranes because several rules can evolve concurrently and more than one queen can be exchanged during each step. Number of communication rules are also decreased. Communication rules decrease speed on multi-core processing because communications and synchronizations between threads and cores that are necessary for communication rules are very time consuming process. Multi-core processing is used to exploit the parallelism of membrane computing for solving N-queens problem.
Keywordsactive membrane systems membrane computing multi-core processing N-queens
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Paun, G.: Tracing some open problems in membrane computing. Romanian Journal of Information Science and Technology 10, 303–314 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Paun, G., Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A.: The Oxford Handbook of Membrane Computing. Oxford University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.García-Quismondo, M., Gutiérrez-Escudero, R., Pérez-Hurtado, I., Pérez-Jiménez, M.J., Riscos-Núñez, A.: An overview of P-lingua 2.0. In: Păun, G., Pérez-Jiménez, M.J., Riscos-Núñez, A., Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A. (eds.) WMC 2009. LNCS, vol. 5957, pp. 264–288. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gutierrez-Naranjo, M.A., Perez-Jimenez, M.J., Riscos-Nunez, A.: Available membrane computing software. Applications of Membrane Computing in Natural Computing Series, pp. 411–436 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Gutierrez-Naranjo, M.A., Martnez-del-Amor, M.A., Perez-Hurtado, I., Perez-Jimenez, M.J.: Solving the N-queens puzzle with P systems. In: Seventh Brainstorming Week on Membrane Computing, Spain, vol. 1, pp. 199–210 (2009)Google Scholar