A Dynamic Trust Computation Model for Peer to Peer Network
Reliable Peer to Peer (P2P) communication has always been a challenging task for P2P system designers. Trust models try to alleviate problems in P2P systems by incorporating a variety of approaches and schemes. However, most of the current models measure the trustworthiness of a peer only by its trust value which results in inefficient mechanisms of dealing with malicious peers. This paper proposes a unique way of computing the trust value of peers in two steps; by computing the trust value of a peer after each transaction and computing the trust value after a periodic interval of time, namely the transactional trust and revised trust respectively. In the proposed P2P architecture, peers are distributed into groups and each group has a central peer which is responsible for the peers in its group. A management peer is used to manage the central peers and it takes care of all other management activities in the system. The simulation results validate the fact that the proposed trust computation model is accurate and computes the trust efficiently.
This work is supported by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology through King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals Science & Technology Unit under the project No. 10-INF1381-04 as part of the National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan. Thanks extended to Mr. Mohsen and Mr. Wajhat for their help in running and monitoring the simulation model.
- 1.Wang Yu, Zhao Yue-long, Hou Fang, A new security trust model for peer-to-peer E-commerce, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, 2008, pp. 797–801Google Scholar
- 2.Xu Wu, Jingsha He, Fei Xu, An enhanced trust model based on reputation for P2P networks, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous and Trustworthy Computing, 2008, pp. 67–73Google Scholar
- 3.Ning Liu, Jianhua Li, Liming Hao, Yue Wu, Ping Yi, Group-based trust model in P2P system based on trusted computing, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, 2008, pp. 797–801Google Scholar
- 4.Cuihua Zuo, Hongcai Feng, Jianfang Zhou, A security policy based on bi-evaluations of trust and risk in P2P systems, in Proceedings of 2nd IEEE International Conference on Education Technology and Computer, Vol. 5, 2010, pp. 304–309Google Scholar
- 5.Cuihua Zuo, Hongcai Feng, Jianfang Zhou, A novel multi-level trust model to improve the security of P2P networks, in Proceedings of 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, 2010, pp. 100–104Google Scholar
- 7.eBay: The Worlds Online Marketplace. Available from: http://www.ebay.com/
- 8.S.D. Kamvar, M.T. Schlosser, H. Garcia-Molina, The EigenTrust algorithm for reputation management in P2P networks, in ACM Proceedings of the Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference, 2003, pp. 640–651Google Scholar
- 9.L. Page, S. Brin, R. Motwani, T. Winograd. The PageRank citation ranking: bringing order to the web, Technical Report, Stanford Digital Library Technologies Project, 1998Google Scholar