A Novel Bloom Filter Based Variant of Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks
In this paper, our focus is on the investigation for further improvement (with its variants already existing) upon the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA). The security of ECDSA is based on the Elliptic Curve Discrete Logarithm Problem. Though, ECDSA uses the same number to generate two separate signatures as per the original protocol, it is possible for an adversary to forge the signature. There have been number of improvements proposed to circumvent the issue. However, we propose here a probabilistic and improved bloom filter based variant of ECDSA that while being optimal enhances the security strength of ECDSA. With the theoretical analysis supplemented with our experimentation on the TinyOS platform, we show that it is appropriate to employ in the resource-constrained environment of Wireless Senor Networks (WSNs).
KeywordsSensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Hash Function Domain Parameter Bloom Filter
The work contained herein was carried with support from a sponsored project from the Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Govt. of India. The authors remain grateful to the sponsoring agency for the same.
- 2.D. Johnson, A. Menezes, S. Vanstone, The elliptic curve digital signature algorithm (ECDSA). Int. J. Info. Secur. 1(1), 36–63 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.SEC 3, Standards for efficient cryptography, elliptic curve signatures giving partial message recovery, http://www.secg.org
- 4.A. Liu, P. Kampanakis, P. Ning, TinyECC: elliptic curve cryptography for sensor networks, in Proceedings of International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, St. Louis, MO, 2008, pp. 245–256Google Scholar
- 5.Hung-Zih Liao, Yuan-Yuan Shen, On the elliptic curve digital signature algorithm. Tunghai Sci. 8, 109–126 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.J. Hill et al., System architecture directions for networked sensors, in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS 2000), ACM Press, New York, 2000, pp. 93–104Google Scholar
- 9.Hu Junru, The improved elliptic curve digital signature algorithm, in Proceeding of International Conference on Electronic & Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology, IEEE, Harbin, China, August 12–14, (2011) Google Scholar
- 10.A. Khalique, K. Singh, S. Sood, Implementation of elliptic curve digital signature algorithm. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 2(2), 21–27 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Technical Guideline TR-03111 Elliptic Curve Cryptography Version 2.0. Bundesamt fur Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, 2012Google Scholar
- 12.Q. Zhang, Z. Li, C. Song, The improvement of digital signature algorithm based on elliptic curve cryptography, in Proceeding of Artificial Intelligence, Management Science and Electronic Commerce (AIMSEC), IEEE, Zhengzhou, China, August 8–10, pp. 1689–1691 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.P. Levis, N. Lee, TOSSIM: a simulator for TinyOS networks version 1.0. UC Berkeley, 2003Google Scholar
- 14.B.L.Titzer, D. Lee, J. Palsberg, Avrora: scalable sensor network simulation with precise timing, in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), IEEE, Los Angeles, 2005, pp. 477–482Google Scholar