An Implementation, Execution and Simulation Platform for Processes in Heterogeneous Smart Environments
Developing ambient intelligence for a smart home is a complex task. We present how to define intelligent system behavior through processes on an adequate level of abstraction with the SHIP-tool. Based on the representation of the environment in a formal logical description, communication with the environment is realized via updates of the logical description. Processes are built from basic actions to update the current logical descriptions and include means to monitor the evolution of the environment in a temporal logic formalism. The SHIP-tool implements the process language and serves both for simulation and execution. The paper describes two examples of assisting services in a real smart home living lab, one for light and door control in emergency situations, and one for the scheduling of two parallel wheelchair transports.
KeywordsDescription Logic Smart Home Ambient Intelligence Ambient Assisted Living Smart Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Autexier, S., Hutter, D.: Constructive dl update and reasoning for modeling and executing the orchestration of heterogeneous processes. In: Krötzsch, M., Eiter, T. (eds.) Proceedings 2013 Intl. Workshop on Description Logics (DL 2013), Ulm, Germany, July 23-26. CEUR-WS.org (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Baader, F., Calvanese, D., McGuinness, D.L., Nardi, D., Patel-Schneider, P.F. (eds.): The description logic handbook: theory, implementation, and applications. Cambridge University Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Baader, F., Ghilardi, S., Lutz, C.: LTL over description logic axioms. ACM Transactions on Computational Logic (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Frey, J., Bergweiler, S., Alexandersson, J., Gholamsaghaee, E., Reithinger, N., Stahl, C.: Smartcase: A smart home environment in a suitcase. In: Intelligent Environments, pp. 378–381. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, H., Lutz, C., Milicic, M., Wolter, F.: Updating description logic aboxes. In: Doherty, P., Mylopoulos, J., Welty, C.A. (eds.) Proceedings of the 10th Int. Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Lake District of the United Kingdom, June 2-5, pp. 46–56. AAAI Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Pnueli, A.: The temporal logic of programs. In: FOCS, pp. 46–57. IEEE Computer Society (1977)Google Scholar
- 13.Springer, T., Turhan, A.-Y.: Employing description logics in ambient intelligence for modeling and reasoning about complex situations. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments 1(3), 235–259 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Stahl, C., Frey, J., Alexandersson, J., Brandherm, B.: Synchronized realities. JAISE 3(1), 13–25 (2011)Google Scholar