Nanoindentation Study of Mechanical Properties of Diamond Like Carbon Coatings
Nanoindentation is a depth sensing indentation technique to probe the mechanical properties of small volume. In this contribution, the results of nanoindentation response of diamond like carbon (DLC) coatings on SiAlON ceramics are presented. Indentation measurements were performed with an applied load of 3 mN in order to examine the pressure induced deformation of the structure. The DLC coated SiAlON ceramics exhibited increased elastic modulus and hardness compared to uncoated samples. The other mechanical parameters estimated from nanoindentation measurements are elastic recovery, stiffness and plastic deformation energy.
KeywordsNanoindentation Mechanical properties DLC coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are grateful to Prof. R. C. Budhani, Director, CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi (India) for his kind permission to publish this work. Mr. R. K. Tripathi is grateful to Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India for providing financial assistant.
- 1.G. M. Pharr, W. C. Oliver, F.R. Brotzen, J Mater. Res., 7, 613 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Nanoindentation by A.C. Fischer- Cripps (2nd edition), Springer SciScnce, New York, (2004).Google Scholar
- 5.S.A. Catledge, R. Vaid, P. Diggins IV, J.J. Weimer, M. Koopman, Y.K. Vohra, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 22 (2011) 307–316.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Kumar, A.K. Mallik, N.C. Acikbas, M. Yaygingol, F. Kara, H. Mandal, D. Basu, K. Biswas, B. Basu, Mater. Sci. Eng. C 32 (2012) 464–469.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Vila, E. Salgueiredo, M.S. Amaral, A.J.S. Fernandes, F.M. Costa, A. Cavaleiro, R.F. Silva, Diamond Relat. Mater. 15, 944 (2006).Google Scholar