Structural and Optical Characterization of β-Ga2O3 Thin Films Grown by Pulsed Laser Deposition
Polycrystalline β-Ga2O3 thin films were grown on sapphire substrate (0001) by pulsed laser deposition (PLD) technique. The crystalline structure and optical band gap were studied as a function of growth temperature, laser beam energy, annealing temperature and time. To tailor the band gap of β-Ga2O3 thin films by Al diffusion from the sapphire substrate the films were annealed for 24 h at different temperatures. The amount of Al diffusion was different for different temperatures of annealing which resulted in the increase of band gap as well as the shift of diffraction peaks to higher angles with increasing temperature. The annealed films showed high transparency in the deep UV region of the spectrum.
Keywordsβ-Ga2O3 PLD (pulsed laser deposition technique) X-ray Band gap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank Dr. R Muralidharan, Director SSPL for his support in carrying out the work.
- 1.S. Geller, J. Chem. Phys. 33 (1960) 676.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Ahman, G. Svensson, and J. Albertsson, ActaCrystallogr. Sect. C52 (1996) 1336.Google Scholar
- 5.H. G. Kim and W.-T. Kim, J. Appl. Phys. 62 (1987) 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.Z. Hajnal, J. Miro, G. Kiss, F. Reti, P. Deak, R. C. Herndon, and J. M. Kuperberg, J. Appl. Phys. 86 (1999) 3792.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Binet and D. Gourier, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 59 (1998) 1241.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Fleischer and H. Meixner, J. Appl. Phys. 74 (1993) 300.Google Scholar
- 14.F. K. Shan, G. X. Liu, W. J. Lee, G. H. Lee, I. S. Kim, and B. C. Shin, J. Appl. Phys. 98 (2005) 023504.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Passlack, E. F. Schubert, W. S. Hobson, M. Hong, N. Moriya, S. Chu, K. Konstadinidis, J. P. Mannaerts, M. L. Schnoes, and G. J. Zydzik, J. Appl. Phys. 77 (1995) 686.Google Scholar
- 17.Yutaka et al, Journal of ceramic society of Japan 117(9) (2009) 973-977.Google Scholar
- 21.Kiyoshi Shimamura, Encarnacio, Kay Domen, Keiichi Yui, Kazuo Aoki and Noboru Ichinose, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 44 (2005) L7.Google Scholar
- 22.Doo Hyun Kim, Seung Ho Yoo, Taek-Mo Chung, KiSeok An, HeeSoo Yoo, and Yunsoo Kim, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 23 (2002) 225.Google Scholar
- 24.Sang-A Lee et al, Appl. Phy. Lett. 89 (2006) 182906.Google Scholar
- 27.B.D. Cullity, Elements of X-ray Diffraction, second ed., Addison Wesley, 1978, pp.99.Google Scholar
- 28.C.S. Barrett, Structure of Metals, third ed., McGraw-Hill, 1968, pp.205.Google Scholar