Integrated Communication for Truck Monitoring in Solid Waste Collection Systems
This paper relates to a method of integration of RFID and communication technologies for solid waste bin and truck monitoring system. RFID, GPS, GPRS and Digital map along side camera technologies have been integrated and developed the brain and a truck intelligent monitoring system. A proposed kind of integrated theoretical framework using image processing approaches, hardware architecture and interface algorithm has been introduced between the technologies for the successful implementation of the proposed system. With this technique, bin and truck database have been developed such a way that the information on the bin and truck ID, date and time of waste collection, bin status, amount of waste and bin and truck GPS coordinates etc. are compiled and stored for monitoring and management activities. The outdoor field test demonstrates the performance of the developed system in solid waste collection. Important info was identified, collected, and automatically recorded upon the number of the bins.
Keywordssolid waste monitoring and management rfid gps gprs digital map database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Blaakman, E.J., et al.: Integration of Remote Sensing in ECOSYS. Lelystad, The Netherlands, RIZA, Report No.011, p. 95 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Gong, P., Pu, R., Chen, J.: Mapping ecological land systems and classification uncertainty from digital elevation and forest cover data using neural networks. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 62(11), 1249–1260 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Le Vine, D., Wirt, M., Whitebook, B.: Grid Computing for Massively Multiplayer Games. Charles River Media, MA (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Flora, A.: Towards a clean environment, proposal on sustainable and integrated solid waste management system for universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Farrell, J.: Aided navigation: GPS with high rate sensors. McGraw-Hill, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Misra, P., Enge, P.: Global Positioning System: Signals, Measurements (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Halonen, T., Romero, J., Melero, J.: GSM, GPRS and EDGE performance: evolution towards 3G/UMTS. Wiley (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Greenfeld, J.S.: Matching GPS observations to locations on a digital mapGoogle Scholar
- 16.Dawson, J.F., Thompson, E.J., Cousens, J.A.: Digital map system. Google Patents (1989)Google Scholar
- 17.Reverter, F., Gasulla, M., Pallas-Areny, R.: Capacitive level sensing for solid-waste collection. In: Proceedings of IEEE Sensors (2003)Google Scholar