Application of Mobile Augmented Reality in a Computer Science Course
Engaging learning environment for learning complex materials in higher education is difficult to perform because the contents are mostly theoretical and hard to visualize. This problem motivates the use of mobile augmented reality in this research. The objective of this research is to design and develop a mobile augmented reality application that can enhance the student’s perception of the selected materials in computer organization and operating system course. The application was developed using three levels of knowledge (understand, apply, analyze) and involved the integration of video, audio, graphic and text information. The evaluation of the application using responses from 13 second year university students shows that this application can be used to enhance the students understanding and engage them in a group discussion for solving the given exercises. This application is expected to be a good start for learning complex materials in the selected course and can be extended to cover different levels of knowledge and subjects.
Keywordsmobile augmented reality higher education computer science
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stallings, W.: Computer Organization and Architecture, Designing for Performance, 9th edn. Pearson Education International, Inc. (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Mustafa, B.: Modern computer architecture teaching and learning support: An experience in evaluation. In: 2011 International Conference on Information Society (i-Society), June 27-29, pp. 411–416 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Azuma, R.: A Survey of Augmented Reality. Teleoperators and Virtual Environments 6(4), 355–385 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, T.Y., Tan, T.H., Chu, Y.L.: Outdoor natural science learning with an RFID-supported immersive ubiquitous learning environment. Educational Technology & Society, 161–175 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Szalavári, Z., Gervautz, M.: The Personal Interaction Panel - A Two-handed Interface, for Augmented Reality. In: Proc. EUROGRAPHICS 1997 B, Hungary, pp. 335–346 (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Heen, C., Kaiping, F., Chunliu, M., Siyuan, C., Zhongning, G., Yizhu, H.: Application of Augmented Reality in Engineering Graphics Education. In: 2011 International Symposium on IT in Medicine and Education (ITME), December 9-11, pp. 362–365 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Overview over the UnifeyeSDKMobile framework, http://docs.metaio.com/bin/view/Main/UnifeyeMobileIntroduction