An Engineering Design Support Tool Based on TRIZ
TRIZ contradiction matrix was built after years of study on patent information. Designers using TRIZ contradiction matrix have to identify the improving and worsening features of their design problems and determine the inventive principles to solve their design problems. It is common to identify multiple improving and worsening features and with some features more important than the others. With the updated 2003 and 2010 TRIZ contradiction matrix introduced, more features have been added and hence, there is a need for a software tool based on these TRIZ matrices. This paper presents an engineering design support tool based on TRIZ that allows considerations for multiple improving and worsening features and allows designers to prioritise these features using weights to solve their design problems as well as the option to choose the version of TRIZ they prefer.
KeywordsTRIZ contradiction matrix support tool product design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mann, D.L.: Hands-on systematic innovation. CREAX Press, Leper (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Pham, D.T., Liu, H.: An I-CHING-TRIZ-inspired approach to design concept generation. In: Proc. ASME 2009 Int. Design Eng. Technical Conf. & Computers and Information in Eng. Conf. (IDETC/CIE 2009). Pinehurst Technologies, Inc., San Diego (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Mann, D.L.: Matrix 2010: Re-updating the TRIZ contradiction matrix. IFR Press, Devon (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Mann, D.L., Dewulf, S., Zlotin, B., Zusman, A.: Matrix 2003: Updating the TRIZ contradiction matrix. CREAX Press, Leper (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Pham, D.T., Liu, H.: A new TRIZ-based approach to design concept generation. In: Int. Conf. on Manufacturing Research. Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Pham, D.T., Ng, K.W., Ang, M.C.: Applying TRIZ to support designers in a descriptive design framework. In: Proc. of the ASME 2009 Int. Design Engineering Tech. Conf. & Computers and Information in Engineering Conf. (IDETC/CIE 2009), San Diego, California, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Knight, W.J.: Polyurea Spray Coatings: An introduction. Journal of Protective Coatings and Linings 18, 48–52 (2001)Google Scholar