Restoration of Blurred Binary Images Using Discrete Tomography
Enhancement of degraded images of binary shapes is an important task in many image processing applications, e.g. to provide appropriate image quality for optical character recognition. Although many image restoration methods can be found in the literature, most of them are developed for grayscale images. In this paper we propose a novel binary image restoration algorithm. As a first step, it restores the projections of the shape using 1-dimensional deconvolution, then reconstructs the image from these projections using a discrete tomography technique. The method does not require any parameter setting or prior knowledge like an estimation of the signal-to-noise ratio. Numerical experiments on a synthetic dataset show that the proposed algorithm is robust to the level of the noise. The efficiency of the method has also been demonstrated on real out-of-focus alphanumeric images.
KeywordsBinary Image Synthetic Dataset Image Restoration Optical Character Recognition Projection Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Deans, S.R.: The Radon transform and some of its applications. A Wiley-Interscience publication, Wiley (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, T.H., Lii, K.S.: Deblurring two-tone images by a joint estimation approach using higher-order statistics. In: Proc. of IEEE SP Workshop on Higher-Order Statistics, pp. 108–111 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Orlin, J.B.: A polynomial time primal network simplex algorithm for minimum cost flows. In: Proc. of the Seventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 1996, pp. 474–481. SIAM, Philadelphia (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Ryser, H.: Combinatorial properties of matrices of zeros and ones. In: Classic Papers in Combinatorics, pp. 269–275. Modern Birkhäuser Classics, Birkhäuser Boston (1987)Google Scholar
- 12.Schalkoff, R.J.: Digital Image Processing and Computer Vision. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1989)Google Scholar
- 15.Tikhonov, A., Arsenin, V.: Solutions of ill-posed problems. Scripta series in mathematics, Winston (1977)Google Scholar