Detection and Presentation of Failure of Learning from Quiz Responses in Course Management Systems
In this paper, we propose a method to detect failure of learning of students using quiz responses in a course management system Moodle. Failure of learning is defined as a situation in which the correct answer rate of a learning topic is significantly lower than the correct answer rate of other topics. In the research, the researchers identified the presence or absence of failure of learning in actual classes to evaluate the usefulness of the proposed method. The results revealed that students checked the quiz results significantly more in the experimental group than in the control group, and that more instruction was given to the experimental group.
KeywordsCourse management system Failure of learning detection Learning analytics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Graf, S., Kinshuk, K.: Providing Adaptive Courses in Learning Management Systems with Respect to Learning Styles. In: Bastiaens, T., Carliner, S. (eds.) Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2007, pp. 2576–2583 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Klosgen, W., Zytkow, J.: Handbook of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery. Oxford University Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Moodle, http://moodle.org/
- 6.Open University of Japan:H21-22 Survey on the Promotion of ICT Use Education. Center of ICT and Distance Education (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Kato, T., Ishikawa, T.: Design and Evaluation of Support Functions of Course Management Systems for Assessing Learning Conditions in Programming Practicums. In: International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies 2012, pp. 205–207 (2012)Google Scholar