Methods for Generalizing the Propp-Based Story Generation Mechanism
This paper discusses some methods for generalizing our Propp-based story generation mechanism. The mechanism has the following aspects: as the development of a system based on the literary theory by Propp and as the use in a more comprehensive architecture of narrative generation called the integrated narrative generation system. Considering the latter aspect especially, the generalization beyond the restriction of Propp’s theory will become an important issue for the future development. The first half of this paper will introduce overviews of the Propp-based mechanism and the integrated narrative generation system. Then in the latter half, we will present four methods for the generalization.
KeywordsIntegrated narrative generation system Propp’s theory Proppbased story generation mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ogata, T., Kanai, A.: An Introduction to Informatics of Narratology. Gakubunsha (2010) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 2.Akimoto, T., Ogata, T.: Macro Structure and Basic Methods in the Integrated Narrative Generation System by Introducing Narratological Knowledge. In: Proc. of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics & Cognitive Computing, pp. 253–262 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Oishi, K., Kurisawa, Y., Kamada, M., Fukuda, I., Akimoto, T., Ogata, T.: Building Con-ceptual Dictionary for Providing Common Knowledge in the Integrated Narrative Generation System. In: Proc. of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society, pp. 2126–2131 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Propp, V.: Morphology of the Folktale. University of Texas Press (1968)Google Scholar
- 6.Akimoto, T., Kurisawa, Y., Ogata, T.: A Mechanism for Managing the Progression of Events by States in Integrated Narrative Generation System. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Engineering and Applied Science, pp. 1605–1614 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Tosu, N.: Cultural linguistics. Keisou Shobou (1988) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Nagao, M., Mori, S.: A New Method of N-gram Statistics for Large Number of n and Automatic Extraction of Words and Phrases form Large Text Data of Japanese. In: Proc. of the 15th Conference on Computational Linguistics, vol. 1, pp. 611–615 (1994)Google Scholar