Theoretical Analysis and Evaluation of Topic Graph Based Transfer Learning
Various research efforts have been invested in machine learning and data mining for finding out patterns from data. However, even when some knowledge may be learned in one domain, it is often difficult to re-use it for another domain with different characteristics. Toward effective knowledge transfer between domains, we proposed a transfer learning method based on our transfer hypothesis that two domains have similar feature spaces. A graph structure called a topic graph is constructed by using the learned features in one domain, and the graph is used as a regularization term. In this paper we present a theoretical analysis of our approach and prove the convergence of the learning algorithm. Furthermore, the performance evaluation of the method is reported over document clustering problems. Extensive experiments are conducted to compare with other transfer learning algorithms. The results are encouraging, and show that our method can improve the performance by transferring the learned knowledge effectively.
KeywordsRegularization Term Target Domain Normalize Mutual Information Transfer Learning Source Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cai, D., He, X., Wu, X., Han, J.: Non-negative matrix factorization on manifold. In: Proc. ICDM 2008, pp. 63–72 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Cover, T., Thomas, J.: Elements of Information Theory. Wiley (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Dai, W., Xue, G.-R., Yang, Q., Yu, Y.: Co-clustering based classification for out-of-domain documents. In: Proc. KDD 2007, pp. 210–219 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Ding, C., Li, T., Peng, W., Park, H.: Orthogonal nonnegative matrix tri-factorizations for clustering. In: Proc. KDD 2006, pp. 126–135 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Gao, J., Fan, W., Jiang, J., Han, J.: Knowledge transfer via multiple model local structure mapping. In: Proc. KDD 2008, pp. 283–291 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, D.D., Seung, H.S.: Algorithms for non-negative matrix factorization. In: Proc. NIPS 2001, pp. 556–562 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Ling, X., Dai, W., Xue, G., Yang, Q., Yu, Y.: Spectral domain-transfer learning. In: Proc. KDD 2008, pp. 488–496 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, W., Liu, X., Gong, Y.: Document clustering based on non-negative matrix factorization. In: Proc. SIGIR 2003, pp. 267–273 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhuang, F., Luo, P., Xiaong, H., He, Q., Xiong, Y., Shi, Z.: Exploiting associations between word clusters and document classes for cross-domain text categorization. In: Proc. SDM 2010, pp. 13–24 (2010)Google Scholar