The Un-normalized Graph p-Laplacian Based Semi-supervised Learning Method and Protein Function Prediction Problem
Protein function prediction is a fundamental problem in modern biology. In this paper, we present the un-normalized graph p-Laplacian semi-supervised learning methods. These methods will be applied to the protein network constructed from the gene expression data to predict the functions of all proteins in the network. These methods are based on the assumption that the labels of two adjacent proteins in the network are likely to be the same. The experiments show that that the un-normalized graph p-Laplacian semi-supervised learning methods are at least as good as the current state of the art method (the un-normalized graph Laplacian based semi-supervised learning method) but often lead to better classification accuracy performance measures.
KeywordsGene Expression Data Protein Function Prediction Predict Protein Function Adjacent Protein Automate Function Prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Shi, L., Cho, Y., Zhang, A.: Prediction of Protein Function from Connectivity of Protein Interaction Networks. International Journal of Computational Bioscience 1(1) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Lanckriet, G.R.G., Deng, M., Cristianini, N., Jordan, M.I., Noble, W.S.: Kernel-based data fusion and its application to protein function prediction in yeast. In: Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, PSB (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Tsuda, K., Shin, H.H., Schoelkopf, B.: Fast protein classification with multiple networks. Bioinformatics (ECCB 2005) 21(suppl. 2), ii59–ii65 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Tran, L.: Application of three graph Laplacian based semi-supervised learning methods to protein function prediction problem. CoRR abs/1211.4289 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Tran, L.: Hypergraph and protein function prediction with gene expression data. CoRR abs/1212.0388 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhou, D., Huang, J., Schoelkopf, B.: Beyond Pairwise Classification and Clustering Using Hypergraphs, Max Planck Institute Technical Report 143, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tbingen, Germany (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhou, D., Huang, J., Schoelkopf, B.: Learning with Hypergraphs: Clustering, Classification, and Embedding. In: Schoelkopf, B., Platt, J.C., Hofmann, T. (eds.) Advances in Neural Information Processing System (NIPS), pp. 1601–1608. MIT Press, Cambridge (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Pandey, G., Atluri, G., Steinbach, M., Kumar, V.: Association Analysis Techniques for Discovering Functional Modules from Microarray Data. In: Proc. ISMB Special Interest Group Meeting on Automated Function Prediction (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhou, D., Schoelkopf, B.: Discrete Regularization. In: Chapelle, O., Schoelkopf, B., Zien, A. (eds.) Semi-Supervised Learning, pp. 221–232. MIT Press, Cambridge (2006)Google Scholar