Impact of Sports Betting and Corruption: Reflections from Uganda
- 1.7k Downloads
This chapter focuses on Uganda as one country with the insidious threat of sports betting and corruption with all its attendant manifestations. It seeks to examine how the national laws have sought to, or have failed to, regulate sports betting and gaming; how far have the sports bodies been ready to handle this affliction? Have the socio-economic factors contributed to this nascent problem? How has the impact of globalization, liberalization of trade markets, information age and consumerism been? How have the people’s cultural dispositions been conducive to this malaise? Finally, some recommendations for the future are presented in the conclusion section.
KeywordsMoney Laundering Organize Crime Group Fair Play National Team Sport Discipline
This chapter has been prepared for presentation at the Plenary Session of the Interpol Global Academic Experts Meeting for Integrity In Sport, Singapore, 2012, and its research was made possible further to this global campaigns to strengthen integrity in sport.
I am heartily thankful for the opportunity to be part of this. I am grateful as well to Mr. Allan Kyobe Ssempebwa, for the help extended in conducting some of the interviews that greatly enriched this study.
List of Acronyms
Africa Cup of Nations
Court of Arbitration for Sport
Confederation of African Football
Council of East and Central African Football Associations
Council of Southern Africa Football Associations
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
East African Community
Economic Community of West African States
Eastern and Southern African Anti-Money Laundering Group
Federation of International Football Associations
Federation of International Basketball Associations
Federation of Motorsport Clubs in Uganda
Federation of Uganda Basketball Associations
Federation of Uganda Football Associations
International Association of Athletics Federations
International Cricket Council
International Olympic Committee
International Tennis Federation
The National Association of Friends of Ugandan Soccer
National Council of Sports
National Union of Football Fans Associations
Southern African Development Community
Uganda Amateur Boxing Federation
Uganda Cricket Association
Uganda Footballers Association
Uganda Olympic Committee
Uganda Super League
Zimbabwe Football Association
- Anonymous, Interview with former club official, 26th October, 2012Google Scholar
- Bryan A. Garner, Black’s Law Dictionary, Eighth Edition. en2eastafrica.net/uganda-vek-alliance-returns-to-fight-illegal-players—transfer, retrieved, June 2, 2013.Google Scholar
- http://mak.ac.ug/prospectus/Science/Bachelor%20of%20sports%20science.pdf. www.dei.go.ug, retrieved, May 24, 2013.
- Iris, University of Safford (Manchester) (2012, Cabinet Praxes-Advocates, CCLS (Universite’ de Pekin), Sports Betting and Corruption: How to Preserve the Integrity of Sport.Google Scholar
- Mukasa, M. (2012). Football Administration Structures in Uganda and the Need for Reforms; Field Notes.Google Scholar
- The Gaming and Pool Betting (Control and Taxation) (Gaming and Pool Bets Tax) Order, No. 31/2009.Google Scholar
- The Observer report, Op. Cit, p .7. http://observer.ug/index.php?option=com-content-andvrew=article4id=19344:robertmadoi, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.interpol.com/News-and-media/Speeches, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.observer.ug/index-php?option=com-content&view=article&id=4316%3Ahb-ziwa-22-1win over-akol- retrieved, May 26, 2013.
- www.transparency.org/topic/detail/sport, retrieved, May 24, 2013.
- www.worldbank.org/country/uganda, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.worldbank.org/en/country/uganda/overview, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.worldbank.org/en/country/uganda/overview,retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.moibrahimfoundation.org/uganda, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.onlinecasinosuite.com/gambling/uganda/, retrieved June 2, 2013
- www.ulii.org:ugandalegalinformationinstitute, retrieved June 2, 2013.Google Scholar
- www.parliament.go.ug/news/images/stories/speeches/budget12.pdf, retrieved, June 2, 2013.
- www.observer.ug/index-php?option=com-content, retrieved June 2nd, 2013.
- www.ugpulse.com/uganda-news/…/betting…/2455.aspx, retrieved, June 2, 2013.
- www.esaamlg.org/userfiles/UGANDA-MER1.pdf, retrieved, June 2, 2013.
- www.octopus.co.ug, retrieved, June 2, 2013.
- wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiagate, retrieved, June 2, 2013.Google Scholar
- www.voazimbabwe.com/content/zimbabwes-parliamentary.com, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/01/zimbabwe-footballers, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- www.newzimbabwe.com/sports-9496-FIFA warns Rushway’aOhidzambwa/sports.aspx, retrieved, May 25, 2013.
- Corruption: How to Preserve the Integrity of Sport.Google Scholar
- Eastern and Southern Africa Anti-Money Laundering Group, ESAAMLG Report, 2007; Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism, Republic of Uganda.Google Scholar
- Electronic Media Act, Cap 104Google Scholar
- Electronic Transactions Act, No. 8 of 2011Google Scholar
- FIFA Standard Cooperation AgreementGoogle Scholar
- FIFA Statutes, July 2012Google Scholar
- IRIS, University of Salford (Manchester) and CCLS (Universite de Pekin) 2012; Sports Betting and Corruption: How to Preserve the Integrity of Sport.Google Scholar
- Institute for Security Studies (ISS), Cape Town & Peace and Security Institute of Africa (PSIA), Kampala, Report, 2009; Report of the Anti-Money Laundering Workshop, Imperial Resort Beach Hotel, Entebbe, 14th – 16th December, 2009.Google Scholar
- Mulema Mukasa Richard, 2012: Football Administration Structures in Uganda and The Need for Reforms.Google Scholar
- The Anti-Money Laundering Bill, No. 13 of 2009.Google Scholar
- The Betting, Lotteries and Gaming Act, Cap 131 (Kenya)Google Scholar
- The Electronic Signature Act, 2010Google Scholar
- The Gaming and Pool Betting (Control and Taxation) Act, Cap. 292Google Scholar
- The Gaming and Pool Betting (Control and Taxation) (Gaming and Pool Bets Tax) Order, 2009Google Scholar
- The National Council of Sports Act, Cap. 48Google Scholar
- The National Lotteries Act, Cap. 191Google Scholar
- Uganda Communication Act, Cap 106Google Scholar
- Bryan A. Garner, Black’s Law Dictionary, Eighth EditionGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development: Guide for Application for Gaming and Pool Betting Licence.Google Scholar