When Too Similar Is Bad: A Practical Example of the Solar Dynamics Observatory Content-Based Image-Retrieval System
The measuring of interest and relevance have always been some of the main concerns when analyzing the results of a Content-Based Image-Retrieval (CBIR) system. In this work, we present a unique problem that the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) CBIR system encounters: too many highly similar images. Producing over 70,000 images of the Sun per day, the problem of finding similar images is transformed into the problem of finding similar solar events based on image similarity. However, the most similar images of our dataset are temporal neighbors capturing the same event instance. Therefore a traditional CBIR system will return highly repetitive images rather than similar but distinct events. In this work we outline the problem in detail, present several approaches tested in order to solve this important image data mining and information retrieval issue.
KeywordsSimilar Image Solar Event Solar Dynamics Observatory Solar Image CBIR System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.ADBIS. Adbis 2013 website (2013), http://www.jmbanda.com/ADBIS2013
- 3.Banda, J.M., Angryk, R.A.: On the effectiveness of fuzzy clustering as a data discretization technique for large-scale classification of solar images. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, FUZZ-IEEE, pp. 2019–2024 (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Banda, J.M., Angryk, R.A.: Usage of dissimilarity measures and multidimensional scaling for large scale solar data analysis. In: Proc. of the 2010 Conf. on Intelligent Data Understanding, CIDU 2010, pp. 189–203 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Schuh, M.A., Angryk, R.A., Pillai, K.G., Banda, J.M., Martens, P.: A Large-Scale Solar Image Dataset with Labeled Event Regions. In: 20th IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, ICIP 2013 (to appear, 2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Banda, J.M., Angryk, R.A., Martens, P.C.: On the surprisingly accurate transfer of image parameters between medical and solar images. In: 18th IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, ICIP 2011, pp. 3669–3672 (September 2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Lei, Z., Fuzong, L., Bo, Z.: A CBIR method based on color-spatial feature. In: Proc. of the IEEE Region 10 Conf., TENCON 1999, vol. 1, pp. 166–169 (1999)Google Scholar