Reality and Theory
Bank panics have long been experienced, and even extensively studied, as economic history. Yet the full explanation of panics remains contentious. Why do bank panics occur? How can recovery be made from the recessions triggered by bank panics? Can proper government policy prevent bank panics? Since the nineteenth century, these have been central questions in economics. As the historians have been cross-disciplinary in their views, many social science theoreticians have narrowly constrained their ideas within a single-discipline boundary. Disciplinary theories have partial validity in some contexts. But no disciplinary theory has complete validity in all contexts.
KeywordsHedge Fund Mortgage Loan Leverage Ratio Credit Protection Economic Profession
- Angelides, P. (2011, April 13–15). Justice, reform, and rebuilding in the wake of the financial crisis. 20th Annual Hyman P. Minsky Conference on the State of the US and World Economies. New York City (A conference organized by the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College).Google Scholar
- Bernake, B. S. (2007, September 11). Global imbalances: Recent developments and prospects. Budesbank Lecture, Berlin, Germany. http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speechbernanke20070911a.htm. 2008.
- Buck, C. (1988). The predators’ ball: The inside story of Drexel Burnham and the rise of the junk bond raiders. New York: Simon and Schuster (Penguin paperback, 1989).Google Scholar
- Davies, H. (2012, August 27). Economics in denial about its academic merit. The Korea Herald.Google Scholar
- Fisher, I. (1933, October). The debt-deflation theory of the Great Depression. Econometrica.Google Scholar
- Giles, C. (2010, April 10). Financial crisis exposed flaws in economics. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Kindleberger, C. P., & Aliber, R. Z. (2011). Manias, panics, and crashes: A history of financial crises (6th ed.). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Krugman, P. (2009, March 17). The B Word. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- Minsky, H. (1975). John Maynard Keynes. New York: Columbia University Press (reprinted in 2008 by Mc Graw Hill).Google Scholar
- Sprague, O. M. W. (1908, September). The American crisis of 1907. The Economic Journal, 18(71). http://www.jsotr.org/stable/2221551