Effect of Limited Stirring on the Belousov Zhabotinsky Reaction
The effect of a limited stirring phase on the general behavior of the periodic color change in the Belousov Zhabotinsky was investigated systematically. The effects of stirring on the BZ reaction has other consequences too apart from the pure homogenization of the system. We have investigated the system under different conditions (changing dimensions and volume of the beaker, different stirring rates and times). We found that the stirring can result in the disappearance of an aperiodic phase which is present in the non-stirred case. We suppose that the stirring time plays the role of a ‘bifurcation parameter’.
KeywordsBelousov Zhabotinsky reaction Stirring Rotational flow
Intensive and fruitful discussions with Christian Wodlei and Oliver Pirker are gratefully acknowledged. We thank Sampurna Chaterjee (Max Planck Institute of Neurological Research, Cologne, Germany) and Debabrata Deb (Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, USA) for the English language support and also for productive discussions.
- 1.Belousov BP (1959) A periodic reaction and its mechanism. Sb Ref Radiat Med 1:145 (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 2.Zhabotinsky AM (1964) The periodic course of the oxidation of malonic acid in a solution. Biofizika 9(3):306–311 (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 6.Scott SK (1993) Chemical chaos. Clarendon, Oxford Google Scholar
- 9.Wodlei F, Hristea MR (2011) Stirring effect on the Belousov Zhabotinsky reaction. In: Thurner S, Szell M (eds) Book of abstracts ECCS’11, Vienna, p 136 Google Scholar
- 10.Contribution to ECCS’11. http://www.ilsr.at/eccs11_stirring_effect.pdf