Grid-Based Topology Optimization of Rigid Body Mechanisms
- 1.8k Downloads
While simulation-based analysis and parameter optimization is state-of-the-art for multibody systems, the process of topology synthesis still relies on the designer’s intuition, experience and ingenuity. The idea of optimization based topology design is to apply optimization techniques already in the early stage of topology synthesis in order to find new design candidates and to eliminate inferior mechanism topologies from the subsequent design process.
KeywordsTopology Optimization Continuation Method Multidisciplinary Optimization Friction Element Quadratic Penalization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arora, J.S., Huang, M.W. and Hsieh, C.C. Methods for Optimization of Nonlinear Problems With Discrete Variables: A Review. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 8, 69–85, 1994.Google Scholar
- Bendsøe, M.P. and Sigmund, O. Topology Optimization. Springer, Berlin, 2003.Google Scholar
- Haug, E.J. Computer-Aided Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanical Systems. Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights, 1989.Google Scholar
- The MathWorks Optimization Toolbox for Use with Matlab, User’s Guide. The MathWorks Inc., Natick, 2005.Google Scholar
- Rozvany, G.I.N. The SIMP Method in Topology Optimization — Theoretical Background, Advantages and New Applications. Proceedings of 8th AIAA/USAF/NASA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Long Beach, CA, 2000.Google Scholar
- Sedlaczek, K., Gaugele, T. and Eberhard, P. Topology Optimized Synthesis of Planar Kinematic Rigid Body Mechanisms. Proceedings of the ECCOMAS Thematic Conferenc on Multibody Dynamics 2005, Madrid, Spain, 2005.Google Scholar
- Sedlaczek, K. and Eberhard, P. Grid-Based Topology Optimization of Rigid Body Mechanisms Using Different Problem Formulations. Computational Mechanics — Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems, Mota Soares, C.A.; Martins, J.A.C.; Rodrigues, H.C.; Ambrosio, J.A.C. (Eds.), Dordrecht: Springer, 2006.Google Scholar
- Sedlaczek, K. Zur Topologieoptimierung von Mechanismen und Mehrkörpersystemen. Ph.D. Thesis, Shaker Verlag, Aachen, 2007. [in German] Google Scholar