Timan’s Type Result on Approximation by Algebraic Polynomials
The paper presents two approximation results of the Jackson-Timan type, which were included in my lecture at the All-Union Conference in Approximation Theory (Dniepropetrovsk, June 26–28, 1990).y1 The conference was dedicated to the seventieth birthday of Professor Alexander Timan (26.6.1920–13.8.1988). Unfortunately, proceedings of the conference never appeared because of the well-known events in the former Soviet Union, and only the abstracts were published (see [B3]). Here we present the approximation method which has been used in the proof of these results. In fact, it can be applied to many other approximation problems of such a kind.
KeywordsLinear Operator Approximation Theory Trigonometrical Polynomial Scientific Career Algebraic Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bl]Yu. A. Brudnyi. Generalization of a theorem of A.F. Timan. Soviet Math. Dokl. 4 (1963), 244–247.Google Scholar
- [B2]Yu. A. Brudnyi. Approximation of functions by algebraic polynomials, in “Investigations in the contemporary problems of constructive functions theory” (Proceedings of the conference, Baku, October 8–13, 1962), Izdat. AN Azerbajnskoy SSR, Baku, 1968, 40-45 [Russian].Google Scholar
- [B3]Yu. A. Brudnyi. The A.F. Timan works on algebraic polynomial approximation in Materials of the All-Union Conference in Approximation Theory (Dniepropetrovsk, June 26–29, 1990). Dniepropetrovsk, 1991 13-17 [Russian].Google Scholar
- [Dz]V.K. Dziadyk. On approximation of function by ordinary polynomials on finite interval of the real line. Jzv. AN SSR, ser. matem. 22 (1958), 351–356 [Russian].Google Scholar
- [Te]S.A. Telyakovskii. Two theorems on approximation of functions by algebraic polynomials, in “American Mathematical Society Translations, Series 2”, 77, 163–177, AMS, Providence, RI, 1966.Google Scholar
- [T2]A.F. Timan. Theory of Approximation of Real Functions. Dover Publishers Inc., New-York, 1994.Google Scholar