Israel Glazman, Mathematician and Personality
December 21, 1996 would have been the 80-th birthday of Israel Glazman. Born in Odessa, he graduated from Odessa University where his teacher was Mark Krein. After a short period of working in the same University, he was drafted into the army, and returned home to Odessa in November 1940. From July 1941 until the very end of World War II he was an artillery officer at the front lines and took part in the heavy military actions in Stalingrad, Kursk, and Kiev.
KeywordsDissipative Operator Soviet Authority Mathematical Gift Musical Talent Singular Differential Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. I. Akhiezer, I. M. Glazman, Theory of Linear Operators in Hilbert Space. Gostechisdat, Moscow, 1950.Google Scholar
- 2.N. I. Akhiezer, I. M. Glazman, Theory of Linear Operators in Hilbert Space. Nauka, Moscow, 1966 (English translation: N.Y: F. Ungar Publishing Co., 1961–1963).Google Scholar
- 3.N. I. Akhiezer, I. M. Glazman, Theory of Linear Operators in Hilbert Space. Vyshcha Schkola, Kharkov, I, 1977; II, 1978 (English translation: Boston, Pitman Adv. Publ. Progr., 1981).Google Scholar
- 5.I. M. Glazman, To a theory of singular differential operators. Uspechi Mat. Nauk, 5, 6, 1960.Google Scholar
- 6.I. M. Glazman, Direct Methods of Qualitative Spectral Analysis of Singular Differential Operators. Nauka, Moscow, 1963.Google Scholar
- 7.I. M. Glazman, On spectral nature of multidimensional boundary problems. Doklady Ak. Nauk, 82, 2, 1952.Google Scholar
- 8.I. M. Glazman, On an analogue of extension theory of Hermitian operators and non-symmetric one-dimensional boundary problem on a semi-axis. Doklady Ak. Nauk, 13, 3, 1957.Google Scholar
- 12.I. M. Glazman, Yu. I. Lyubich, Finite-Dimensional Linear Analysis. Nauka, Moscow, 1969 (English translation: MIT Press, Cambridge Mass.-London, 1974).Google Scholar
- 13.P. R. Halmos, The heart of Mathematics. Amer. Math. Monthly, 87, 1980.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Shin, On quasi-differential operators in a Hilbert space. Math. Sbornik, 13, 1943.Google Scholar
- 17.M. H. Stone, Linear Transformation in Hilbert Space and their Applications to Analysis, New York, Amer. Math. Soc. Colloq. Publications, 15, 1932.Google Scholar
- 18.W. Windau, Uber lineare Differentialgleichungen vierter Ordnung mit Singularitäten und die zugehörigen Darstellung willkürliche Funktionen. Math. Ann., 83, 1921.Google Scholar