Controllability of the Linear System of Thermoelasticity: Dirichlet-Neumann Boundary Conditions
We prove that the linear system of thermoelasticity with various boundary conditions is controllable in the following sense: If the control time is large enough and we act in the equations of displacement by means of a control supported in a neighborhood of the boundary of the thermoelastic body, then we may control exactly the displacement and simultaneously the temperature in an approximate way. We consider the following two cases: a) The displacement satisfies Dirichlet boundary conditions and the temperature takes Neumann zero boundary value; b) The displacement satisfies Neumann boundary conditions and the temperature vanishes at the boundary. The method of proof is inspired in our earlier work where the same result was proved for the case where both displacement and temperature satisfy Dirichlet boundary conditions.
1991 Mathematics Subject Classification93B05 73C05 35B37
Key words and phrasesLinear system of thermoelasticity exact controllability approximate controllability decoupling observability inequalities
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [FPZ2]C. Fabre, J. P. Puel and E. Zuazua, Approximate controllability of the semilinear heat equation, Proc. Royal Soc. Edinburgh, to appear.Google Scholar
- [FPZ4]C. Fabre, J. P. Puel and E. Zuazua, On the density of the range of the semigroup for semilinear heat equations, IMA Preprint Series, # 1093, 1992.Google Scholar
- [H]S. W. Hansen, Boundary control of a one-dimensional, linear, thermoelastic rod, SIAM J. Cont. Optim., to appear.Google Scholar
- [HeLP]D. Henry, O. Lopes and A. Perissinitto, On the essential spectrum of a semigroup of thermoelasticity, preprint.Google Scholar
- [J]F. John, Partial Differential Equations ,Applied Mathematical Sciences 1, 4th edition, Springer Verlag, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Z3]E. Zuazua, Controllability of the linear system of thermoelasticity, preprint. Enrique Zuazua Departamento de Matemática Aplicada Universidad Complutense 28040 Madrid, SpainGoogle Scholar