Singularity Models for the Ricci Flow: An Introductory Survey
At the time this article is being written (May 2003) much of the mathematical world is waiting with intense interest to see the results of Grisha Perelman’s effort [22>, 23] to resolve William Thurston’s Geometrization Conjecture  for closed 3-manifolds by completing the program  begun by Richard Hamilton. It is still too early to give an accurate and fair assessment of the full impact of Perelman’s work. But in order to aid the many mathematicians who may be inspired by that work to look more closely at the Ricci flow, this does seem like an appropriate time to write a brief and purely expository introduction to the topic, intended for the non-expert. Readers desiring more information are encouraged to read the more advanced survey articles  and , as well as to consult Hamilton’s and Perelman’s original papers.
KeywordsRiemannian Manifold Sectional Curvature Singularity Model Ricci Soliton Ricci Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angenent, Sigurd. Knopf, Dan. An example of neckpinching for Ricci flow on S n+1Preprint.Google Scholar
- Cao, Huai-Dong. Existence of gradient Kähler-Ricci solitons. Elliptic and parabolic methods in geometry (Minneapolis, MN, 1994), 1–16, A K Peters, Wellesley, MA, 1996.Google Scholar
- Chow, Bennett. A Survey of Hamilton’s Program for the Ricci Flow on 3-manifolds. arXiv: math.DG/0211266.Google Scholar
- Chu, Sun-Chin. Geometry of 3-Dimensional Gradient Ricci Solitons with Positive Curvature. arXiv: math. DG/0303135.Google Scholar
- DeTurck, Dennis M. Deforming metrics in the direction of their Ricci tensors, improved version, Selected Papers on the Ricci Flow, ed. H.-D. Cao, B. Chow, S.-C. Chu, and S.-T. Yau, International Press. To appear.Google Scholar
- Feldman, Mikhail; Ilmanen, Tom; Knopf, Dan. Rotationally symmetric shrinking and expanding gradient Kähler-Ricci solitons. Preprint.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, Richard S. The formation of singularities in the Ricci flow. Surveys in differential geometry, Vol. II (Cambridge, MA, 1993), 7–136, Internat. Press, Cambridge, MA, 1995.Google Scholar
- Perelman, Grisha. The entropy formula for the Ricci flow and its geometric applications. arXiv:math.DG/0211159.Google Scholar
- Perelman, Grisha. Ricci flow with surgery on three-manifolds. arXiv:math.DG/0303109.Google Scholar