Advertisement

Basel im Wandel / Bâle change de visage / The changing face of Basle

  • Hans Bühler
Chapter

Zusammenfassung

Der ‹Äbtische Hof›, oder auch ‹Schetty-Haus› genannt, lag der Clarakirche gegenüber; einst diente er als Pfarrhaus der ‹minderen Stadt›. Auffallend war das hohe Dach, welches sogar mehr als die halbe Haushöhe beanspruchte. Das einfach gestaltete Barockhaus, von J. J. Fechter 1765 erbaut, besass eine sehr schöne gegliederte Fassade. — An der Ecke Claraplatz/Rebgasse stand ein im Vergleich zum ‹Schetty-Haus› bescheidenes klassizistisches Haus, in welchem der ‹Schweizerische Bankverein› eine Filiale eingerichtet hatte. Im Hintergrund links erkennt man bereits die zurückversetzten hohen Neubauten. (abgebrochen 1951)

Résumé

La maison de ľ‹Äbtischer Hof› ou ‹Schetty-Haus›, ainsi qu’elle était également nommée, faisait face à l’église Sainte-Claire; elle abritait jadis la cure de la <ville inférieure). D’une hauteur supérieure à celle de la façade, son toit imposant attirait le regard. Construite en 1765 par J. J. Fechter, dans un style baroque dépouillé, cette maison présentait une façade admirablement bien proportionnée. A l’angle de la place Sainte-Claire et de la Rebgasse, une bâtisse de l’époque clas-sique et d’un aspect plus modeste que celui de la maison Schetty, servait de filiale à la ‹Société de Banques Bâloises›. A l’arrière-plan, à gauche, on devine déjà les bâtiments neufs situés un peu en retrait. (démolie en 1951)

Abstract

The Äbtische Hof, also known as the ‘Schetty House’, was located opposite the Clarakirche (Church of St. Clare) and served as the vicarage of the ‘Little Town’. Its high roof, nearly half the total height of the house, was particularly striking. This baroque house of simple design, built by J.J. Fechter in 1765, possessed a beautifully structured façade. A classicistic house modest in comparison with the ‘Schetty House’ stood at the corner of Claraplatz (St. Clare’s Square) and Rebgasse; it housed a Basle branch of the Swiss Bank Corporation. Modern high-rise buildings can already be recognized in the background on the left. (pulled down in 1951)

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Copyright information

© Springer Basel AG 1979

Authors and Affiliations

  • Hans Bühler

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations