An Iteration Method for Solving Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problems
- 76 Downloads
In a recent paper  the convergence of an inverse iteration type algorithm for a certain class of nonlinear elliptic eigenvalue problems was discussed. Such algorithms have been used successfully in plasma physics , but no satisfactory theoretical justification of convergence was known. While in  only the nondiscretized case was discussed, here an analogous algorithm for nonlinear eigenvalue problems in ℝN will be treated. This algorithm is interesting in itself, but can also be interpreted as a suitably discretized version of the algorithm discussed in .
KeywordsEigenvalue Problem Spectral Radius Minimal Solution Nonlinear Programming Problem Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allgower, E. and Georg, K.: Simplicial and continuation methods for approximating fixed points and solutions to systems of equations. To appear in SIAM Review (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.Fiacco, A.V. and MacCormick, G.P.: Nonlinear programming: sequential unconstraint minimization techniques. New York, John Wiley 1968.Google Scholar
- 7.Georg, K.: On the convergence of an inverse iteration method for nonlinear elliptic eigenvalue problems. To appear in Numer. Math. (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.Jeppson, M.M.: A search for the fixed points of a continuous mapping. In: Mathematical topics in economics theory and computation, R.H. Day and S.M. Robinson (eds.), 1972, 122-129.Google Scholar
- 10.Keller, H.B.: Numerical solution of bifurcation and nonlinear eigenvalue problems. In: Applications of bifurcation theory, P.H. Rabinowitz (ed.), New York, Academic Press 1977, 359–384.Google Scholar
- 14.Meyer-Spasche, R.: Numerical treatment of Dirichlet problems with several solutions. ISNM 31, Basel and Stuttgart, Birkhäuser 1976.Google Scholar