A Platform for Tracking Teacher-Student Interaction
- 487 Downloads
The value and effectiveness of office hours held by faculty and other staff members involved in student mentoring (e.g., advisors and tutors) has been investigated by several studies that have demonstrated that One-On-One (1:1) interaction, whether in person or via remote communication tools, has significant impact on academic success. Despite teacher-student meetings are a crucial component of the learning experience, very little is known about office hours practices beyond the requirements of faculty and staff handbooks: attendance, utilization, and outcome are seldom reported or sparsely tracked, mostly on an individual basis, and without standards.
In this paper, we introduce a novel system especially designed for educational institutions to support them in measuring and enhancing engagement with office hours and mentoring sessions.
KeywordsLearning analytics Office hours Learning Management Systems
- 4.Cifuentes, O.E., Lents, N.H.: Increasing student-teacher interactions at an urban commuter campus through instant messaging and online office hours. Electron. J. Sci. Educ. 14(1) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, L., Pitts, J.P.: Does it really matter? Using virtual office hours to enhance student-faculty interaction. J. Inf. Syst. Educ. 20(2), 175 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Pfund, R., Rogan, J., Burnham, B., Norcross, J.: Is the professor in? Faculty presence during office hours. Coll. Stud. J. 47(3), 524–528 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Caporusso, N.: Personality-aware interfaces for learning applications. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual ACM SIGUCCS Fall Conference: Communication and Collaboration, pp. 189–196. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Leal, A.J.: Evaluating the impact flexible late policy, revision opportunities, and office hours have on student success. Doctoral dissertation, Ashford University (2019)Google Scholar
- 9.Lavooy, M., Newlin, M.: Online chats and cyber-office hours: everything but the office. Int. J. E-Learn. 7(1), 107–116 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Campbell, J., Craig, M.: Drop-in help centres: an alternative to office hours. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Western Canadian Conference on Computing Education, p. 9. ACM (2018)Google Scholar