Detection of NAT64/DNS64 by SRV Records: Detection Using Global DNS Tree in the World Beyond Plain-Text DNS
- 67 Downloads
Since it has been introduced the NAT64/DNS64 transition mechanism has reputation of method which simply works. This could change as currently used detection method, RFC7050 , for this transition mechanism doesn’t work with third party/foreign DNS resolvers. These resolvers have been lately introduced by Mozilla Firefox  with implementation of DNS over HTTPS. This paper describes problems connected with default usage of third party DNS resolvers and provides a way how to solve issues of RFC7050  with and without third party resolvers.
KeywordsNAT64/DNS64 DNS DNSSEC DoH RFC7050
This work was supported by the Student Grant Scheme at the Technical University of Liberec through project nr. SGS-2019-3017.
- 1.Firefox DNS-over-HTTPS (2019). https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-dns-over-https
- 3.Boettger, T., et al.: An empirical study of the cost of DNS-over-HTTPS. In: ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC) (2019)Google Scholar
- 6.Colitti, L., Linkova, J.: Discovering PREF64 in router advertisements. Internet-Draft draft-ietf-6man-ra-PREF64-09, Internet engineering task force, December 2019. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-09. (Work in progress)
- 7.Hoang, N.P., Lin, I., Ghavamnia, S., Polychronakis, M.: K-resolver: towards decentralizing encrypted DNS resolution. In: The NDSS Workshop on Measurements, Attacks, and Defenses for the Web 2020 (MADWeb 2020), pp. 1–7, February 2020. https://doi.org/10.14722/madweb.2020.23009
- 10.Hunek, M., Pliva, Z.: DNSSEC in the networks with a NAT64/DNS64. In: 2018 International Conference on Applied Electronics (AE), pp. 1–4, September 2018. https://doi.org/10.23919/AE.2018.8501446
- 11.Hunek, M.: NAT64/DNS64 detection via SRV records. Internet-Draft draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-srv-00, Internet Engineering Task Force, March 2019. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-srv-00. Work in Progress
- 13.Lu, C., et al.: An end-to-end, large-scale measurement of DNS-over-encryption: how far have we come? In: Proceedings of the Internet Measurement Conference IMC 2019, pp. 22–35. Association for Computing Machinery, New York (2019). https://doi.org/10.1145/3355369.3355580