Creating and Sustaining a Competitive Advantage over Time
- 85 Downloads
This chapter discusses the fundamentals of competitive advantage, the requirements for a successful imitation, the barriers to imitation, and how a company can create and sustain it and how to deal with the threats of a disruptive innovation in e-business. The ways that companies can follow in order to deal with a disruptive innovation are clarified. The chapter also provides some ways for selecting the appropriate cognitive frame (mindset) for an efficient response to a disruptive innovation.
KeywordsCompetitive advantage Disruptive innovation Barriers to imitation Sustaining innovation
- Ghemawat, P., & Rivkin, J. W. (1998). Creating competitive advantage. Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Ghemawat, P. (2005). Strategy and the business landscape (p. 106). Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, C., & Bower, J. (2002). Disruptive change: when trying harder is part of the problem. Harvard Business Review, 95–101.Google Scholar
- Hill, B. (2018). Why are some firms able to sustain competitive advantage over their rivals?. Smallbusiness.chron.com.
- Hungenberg, H. (2006). Strategisches management in Unternehmen. Gabler.Google Scholar
- Hungenberg, H. (2014). Strategisches management in Unternehmen. Gabler.Google Scholar
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K., & Whittington, R. (2005). Exploring Corporate Strategy (seventh ed.). Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- O’Reilly, C., & Tushman, M. (2004). The ambidextrous organization. Boston: Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C. (2011). The innovator's dilemma: The revolutionary book that will change the way you do business. Harper Business.Google Scholar
- Christensen, C., & Raynor, M. (2003). The innovator’s solution. Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Pavic, S. (2011). The creation of competitive advantage in SMEs through e-business. University of Sheffield.Google Scholar
- Consult www.innosight.com for up-to-date research findings and practical implications of the disruptive innovation theory.
- www.innovationmanagement.se is an online knowledge center for creating value with innovation management. This site offers insights, case studies, solutions and a multitude of useful and cutting-edge content for today’s companies.
- www.christenseninstitute.org/blog/ is the blog of the Christensen Institute, named after Clayton Christensen.
- www.blueoceanstrategy.com/blog/ is the blog of academics focussed on blue ocean strategy.