External Analysis: The Impact of the Internet on the Macro-environment and on the Industry Structure of e-Business Companies
- 86 Downloads
This chapter firstly provides a framework for analyzing the macro-environment. Secondly, it discusses Porter’s five forces framework for analyzing the attractiveness of an industry. It also analyses the impact of the Internet on each force of Porter’s framework, i.e., industry rivalry, barriers to entry, threat of substitute products, and the bargaining power of buyers and suppliers. Thirdly, this chapter presents the co-opetition framework, which offers an alternative perspective for industry analysis. Finally, it addresses the question of how to define industries within which to compete and how to segment specific customer groups that a business should target through its e-business offering.
KeywordsMacro-environment Five forces industry framework Co-opetition
- Abell, D. (1977). Strategy and structure: public policy implications. In Proceedings of marketing and the public interest. Cambridge, MA: Marketing Science Institute.Google Scholar
- Anderson, G. O. (2017, December). Technology use and attitudes among mid-life and older Americans. AARP. Available at: https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/surveys_statistics/technology/info-2018/atom-nov-2017-tech-module.doi.10.26419%252Fres.00210.001.pdf
- Arrington, M. (2005, September 12). Skype sells to eBay for $4.1 Billion. TechCrunch.Google Scholar
- Bradshaw, T., & Digital Media Correspondent. (2011, July 27). Vodafone and Facebook team up on smartphone. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Bradshaw, T., & Ralph, O. (2019, January 30). Apple and Aetna team up on new healthcare app. Financial Times. Google Scholar
- Chaffey, D. (2002). e-Business and e-commerce management. FT Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- D’Aveni, R. (1995). Coping with hypercompetition: utilizing the new 7S’s framework. Academy of Management Review, 9(3), 45–57.Google Scholar
- Foster, L. (2006, February 7). Luxury goods create new online market. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Grant, M. (2018, August 14). E-commerce set for global domination – But at different speeds. Forbes.Google Scholar
- Hall, W. (2018, December 11). The Internet risks fracturing into quarters. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Harkin, F. (2011, September 24). Trying on the Future. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Hill, A. (2010, September 26). Michael Porter, Management thinker – Academic who shares his values. Financial Times. Google Scholar
- Hungenberg, H. (2014). Strategisches management in unternehmen. Gabler.Google Scholar
- Jelassi, T., Enders, A., & Martínez-López, F. J. (2005). Strategies for e-business: creating value through electronic and mobile commerce: concepts and cases. Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K., & Whittington, R. (2005). Exploring corporate strategy. Harlow: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P. (2005). Marketing management (pp. 251–296). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Marriage, M., & Ram, A. (2018, February 22). Big Tech faces UK tax on revenues, not profits. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Marshall, P. (2013, October). The 80/20 rule of sales: How to find your best customers. Entrepreneur.Google Scholar
- Microsoft News Center. (2011, May 10). Microsoft to acquire Skype. Microsoft.Google Scholar
- O’Hara, K., & Hall, W. (2018, December). Four internets. The Geopolitics of digital governance. CIGI Papers no. 206, Centre for International Governance Innovation.Google Scholar
- Orendorff, A. (2017, September 1). Global e-commerce: Statistics and international growth trends. Shopifyplus. Available at: https://www.shopify.com/enterprise/global-ecommerce-statistics
- Palmer, M. (2012, March 1). Cloud computing cuts start-up costs. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. (1998). Competitive strategy. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D. (2014, December 11). UK turns into nation of online shoppers. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Thornhill, J. (2018, April 30). Europe bets its data law will lead to tech supremacy. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Waldhuter, L. (2017, February 4). Elderly use of social media and technology on the rise as isolated pensioners get connected. ABC News. Available at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-04/elderly-use-of-social-media-and-technology-on-the-rise/8240508
- Waters, R. (2012, April 12). Facebook shows it gets the message with Instagram deal. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Waters, R., & Bradshaw, T. (2012, January 10). Google searches to become personalised. Financial Times. Google Scholar
- Watkins, M. (2011, March 7). Google buys UK price comparison website for £37.7m. Financial Times.Google Scholar
- Brandenburger, & Nalebuff B. introduce the concept of co-opetition in their book Co-opetition, Currency Doubleday, 1998.Google Scholar
- For a detailed analysis of the macroeconomic and competitive implications of e-business, see Prieger, J., & Heil D. (2013). Economic implications of e-business for organizations. In F.J. Martínez-López (Ed.), e-Business strategic management. Springer.Google Scholar
- For a more detailed coverage of electronic markets’ segmentation, see Aljukhadar, M., & Senecal, S. (2011). Segmenting the online consumer market. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 29(4), 421–435.Google Scholar
- For a more in-depth analysis of the five forces, see M. Porter, Competitive strategy. Free Press, 1998b.Google Scholar
- For an extensive discussion of market segmentation and market targeting, see P. Kotler. Marketing management. Prentice Hall, 2005, pp. 251–296.Google Scholar
- For readers interested in app business, see Roma, P., & Ragaglia, D. (2016). Revenue models, in-app purchase, and the app performance: Evidence from Apple’s App Store and Google Play. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 17, 173–190.Google Scholar
- In order to provide practitioners and students a practical yet comprehensive set of templates for applying five forces framework for industry analysis, see: Dobbs, M. E. (2014). Guidelines for applying Porter’s five forces framework: A set of industry analysis templates. Competitiveness Review, 24(1), 32–45.Google Scholar
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K., & Whittington R. discuss the macro-environment of firms in Exploring corporate strategy. 7th edition, Prentice Hall, 2005.Google Scholar
- Specific examples of segmentation variables in electronic markets are presented in Sen, S., et al. (1998). The identification and satisfaction of consumer analysis-driven information needs of maketers on the WWW. European Journal of Marketing. 32(7/8), 688–702.Google Scholar
- https://blog.davechaffey.com contains updates about digital marketing and strategy.
- https://techcrunch.com/ offers updated and rich information on technology news and experts’ analyses.
- https://www.ecommercetimes.com provides a sound archive of e-business-related articles and publications.
- https://www.emarketer.com/articles/topics/retail-ecommerce provides all kinds of survey reports related to e-commerce.
- https://www.icompli.co.uk is a website concentrating on e-commerce laws.