The Strategic Approach of the World’s Biggest e-Tailing Companies: Amazon and Alibaba
- 148 Downloads
This chapter provided a synthesized understanding of Amazon and Alibaba from various dimensions. The two companies offer similar e-business services, such as e-commerce, cloud computing, artificial intelligence, and omni-channel businesses. Yet their business models and strategies are quite different. Amazon and Alibaba, as two e-business exemplars, provide many practical lessons on e-business. In this chapter, we firstly describe the lessons that businesses can learn from Amazon and Alibaba. Secondly, we separately analyze their e-business practices. The last section concludes by highlighting the practical implications of the strategic moves made by Amazon and Alibaba.
KeywordsAmazon Alibaba Strategies for e-business
- Bhandari, B. (2018). ‘Taobao launches bargain app to rival Pinduoduo’, sixth tone.Google Scholar
- Bonnington, C. (2018). ‘Why Amazon is opening more of its futuristic, cashier-free convenience stores’, Slate.com.
- Business Line. (2018). ‘Amazon doubles storage space, delivery station network’, Thehindubusinessline.com.
- Drucker, P. F. (1986). Management: Tasks, responsibilities, practices (p. 14). New York: Truman Talley Books.Google Scholar
- Hahn, L. (2016). ‘Amazon (AMZN) stock boasts 3 powerful growth engines’, InvestorPlace.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, L. & Castillo, M. (2018). ‘Amazon has big plans for Alexa ads in 2018; it’s discussing options with P&G, Clorox and others’, CNBC.com.
- Mac, R. (2016). ‘After Jeff Bezos hands out promotions, Amazon now has three CEOs’, Forbes.Google Scholar
- Nath, T. (2018). ‘Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video Comparison’, Investopedia, Available at: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/121714/hulu-netflix-and-amazon-instant-video-comparison.asp
- Page, V. (2015). ‘How Amazon fresh works’, Investopedia.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y. (2017). ‘Can Alibaba realize its global ambitions?’, Forbes.Google Scholar
- Investopedia. (2016). ‘The Difference between Amazon and Alibaba’s Business Models’, Investopedia.com.
- Pavie, X., ‘Seven reasons for Alibaba’s ground-breaking success’, BBN Times 2018.Google Scholar
- Yazdanifard, R., & Li, M. T. H. (2014). The review of Alibaba’s online business marketing strategies which navigate them to present success. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 14(7), 33–37.Google Scholar