Open Educational Resources Grant Program: A Strategy for Student Savings in Texas
- 14 Downloads
The Texas Legislature and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board have recently developed a grant program to incentivize the use of Open Educational Resources among higher education faculty in the state. This chapter will examine the particulars of the inaugural 2018 Open Educational Resources Grant Program, as well as other OER work in the state, and discuss the implications of this work for the Texas strategic plan for higher education, 60X30TX. Strengths and challenges of the grant program will be explored in order to develop suggestions for the implementation of similar programs in other states.
KeywordsOpen Educational Resources Grant Strategy Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board 60X30TX College success Strategic plan Higher education
- 1.Affordable Learning Georgia. (2019). ALG student savings data: Updated to spring 2019 data. https://www.affordablelearninggeorgia.org/about/reports. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 2.Allen, N. (2018). $1 billion in savings through open educational resources. SPARC. https://sparcopen.org/news/2018/1-billion-in-savings-through-open-educational-resources/. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 3.Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). (2016). College tuition and fees increase 63 percent since January 2006. https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/college-tuition-and-fees-increase-63-percent-since-january-2006.htm. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 4.Carnevale, A.P., Strohl, J., Ridley, N., and Gulish, A. (2018). Three educational pathways to good jobs. https://1gyhoq479ufd3yna29x7ubjn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/3ways-FR.pdf. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 5.College Board. (2019). 2018–19 tuition and fees at public four-year institutions by state and five-year percentage change in in-state tuition and fees. https://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/2018-19-state-tuition-and-fees-public-four-year-institutions-state-and-five-year-percentage. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 6.Colvard, N. B., Watson, C. E., & Park, H. (2018). The impact of open educational resources on various student success metrics. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 30(2). http://www.isetl.org/ijtlhe/pdf/IJTLHE3386.pdf. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 7.Fischer, L., Hilton, J., Robinson, J., & Wiley, D. (2015). A multi-institutional study of the impact of open textbook adoption on the learning outcomes of post-secondary students. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 27(3). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12528-015-9101-x. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 8.Fischer, L., Hilton, J., Wiley, D. and William, L. (2016) Maintaining momentum toward graduation: OER and the course throughput rate. IRRODL, 17(6). http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2686/3967. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 9.Florida Virtual College. (2018). 2018 student textbook and course materials survey. https://dlss.flvc.org/documents/210036/1314923/2018+Student+Textbook+and+Course+Materials+Survey+-+Executive+Summary.pdf/3c0970b0-ea4b-9407-7119-0477f7290a8b. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 10.Forbes. (2019). Best states for business: Texas. https://www.forbes.com/places/tx/. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 11.North Dakota University System. (2018). Open educational resources performance audit report. https://www.nd.gov/auditor/sites/www/files/documents/Reports/State/2018%20NDUS%20-%20Performance%20Audit%20-%20Open%20Educational%20Resources.pdf. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 12.Seaman, J.E., & Seaman, J. (2018). Freeing the textbook: Educational resources in U.S. higher education 2018. https://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/freeingthetextbook2018.pdf. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 13.Smith, A. (2019). Discrepancies in estimates on food insecurity. Inside Higher Education. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/04/30/new-research-finds-discrepancies-estimates-food-insecurity-among-college-students. Accessed 14 July 2019.
- 14.Wiley, D. (2019). Defining the “open” in open content and open educational resources. https://opencontent.org/definition/. Accessed 14 July 2019.