A View from the Top: Hotel HR Directors’ Perspectives of Sustainable HRM in Nigeria
- 66 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to explore dominant themes that characterize sustainable HRM practices in the Nigerian hospitality sector, specifically as it relates to the people dimension of sustainability. The chapter presents findings from a focus group discussion with Hotel HR directors in Lagos. The study is important as it reflects on the gaps that exist between the demand–supply–retention dynamic of human resources needed to sustain the meaningful investments as currently experienced in the hotel sector in Nigeria, and indeed across the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.
KeywordsSustainable HRM Sustainability Africa Tourism and hospitality Labour practices
- Armstrong, M. (2014). Handbook of human resource management practice (13th ed.). London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- Bryman, A. (2015). Social research methods. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J.W. (2014). A concise introduction to mixed methods research. Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Delery, J.E. & Roumpi, D. (2017). Strategic human resource management, human capital and competitive advantage: Is the field going in circles? Human Resource Management Journal 27(1), 1–21. Available at: https://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/1748-8583.12137.
- Garavan, T. et al., (2016). The antecedents of leadership development practices in SMEs: The influence of HRM strategy and practice. International Small Business Journal, 34(6), 870–890. Available at: https://isb.sagepub.com/cgi/doi/10.1177/0266242615594215.
- Ogunyemi, K. (2014). Justice, care and benevolence as spurs to employee loyalty. International Journal of Academic Research in Management, 3(2), 110–125.Google Scholar
- Ovadje, F. (2015). The impact of the organizational & societal environment on talent productivity in Nigeria. In Research in Leadership Series. Issue 1.Google Scholar
- Schneider, B., & Bowen, D.E. (2010). Winning the service game. In Handbook of service science (pp. 31–59). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- W Hospitality Group (2017) Hotel chain development pipelines in Africa.Google Scholar
- Wright, P., Dunford, B., & Snell, S. (2001). Human resources and the resource based view of the firm. Journal of Management, 27(6), 701–721, https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630102700607.