Contribution of UV Technology to Sustainable Textile Production and Design
- 555 Downloads
The textile and fashion industry is one of the oldest and largest sectors in the World. In the textile industry, it is possible to create both functional and artistic designs by using different materials and different techniques together in harmony. However, it is very important that the applied process types should not harm the environment and living things. Therefore, one of the issues that have come up recently is sustainable textile design. As a result of the developments in today's world, companies invest in technology in order to provide competitive advantage in many sectors and to increase environmental awareness. Textile industry inevitably should re-design their processes in order to reduce the potential environmental damage leading to more sustainable planet for future generations. Therfore, the usage of sustainable, renewable materials and sustainable eco-friendly production methods should be increased in textile industry more and more in order to overcome possible increasing environmental problems arising from the processes of textile sector. In this respect, for instance, ultraviolet (UV) technology offers many alternative innovative usage types not only in the textile industry but also in many other different industrial areas. The usage of UV technology offers so much positive attributes to the textile production and design and also provides sustainable and eco-friendly opportunities for many different areas of the textile industry. The new usage types of UV technology in the textile sector has still been explored today and developed day by day. In this chapter, the information about Ultraviolet (UV) and UV technology, the usage areas of UV technology, the contribution and the production efficiency advantages of UV technology to sustainable textile production and design (such as the use of UV technology in decolorization and purification of textile wastewaters, as pre-treatment and surface modification processes prior to coloration processes, for UV-curing process and for pilling problem prevention etc.) were given in detail.
KeywordsSustainable Design UV Ultraviolet Textile Environment-friendly
- Adeel S, Bhatti IA, Kausar A, Osman E (2012) Influence of UV radiations on the extraction and dyeing of cotton fabric with Curcuma longa L. Ind J Fibre Textile Res 37(1):87–90Google Scholar
- Aksoy E (2019) Elektromanyetik Spektrum. https://prosafety.com.tr/elektromanyetik-spektrum-radyoaktivite/.
- Wikipedia Özgür Ansiklopedi (2016) Ultraviolet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet.
- Wikipedia Özgür Ansiklopedi (2019) Tasarım. https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasar%C4%B1m.
- Apollonio LG, Pianca DJ, Whittall IR et al (2006) A demonstration of the use of ultra-performance liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry [UPLC/MS] in the determination of amphetamine-type substances and ketamine for forensic and toxicological analysis. J Chromatogr B 836(1–2):111–115CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Attwood D, Sakdinawat A (2017) X-rays and extreme ultraviolet radiation: principles and applications. Cambridge University Press, United KingdomGoogle Scholar
- Aydın K (2009) Ultraviyole Işınları İle Suların Dezenfeksiyonu. IX. Ulusal Tesisat Mühendisliği Kongresi, Tepekule Kongre ve Sergi Merkezi, İzmir, 6–9 Mayıs 2009Google Scholar
- Bahtiyari M İ (2009) Çevre dostu yeni yöntemlerin tekstil ön terbiyesindeki bazı kullanım alanlarının araştırılması. Dissertation, Ege ÜniversitesiGoogle Scholar
- Bhatti IA, Adeel S, Abbas M (2011) Effect of radiation on textile dyeing. In: Hauser PJ (ed) Textile dyeing. InTech, New York, p 1Google Scholar
- Caiger N A, Cockett M A (2000) Ink jet printer with apparatus for curing ink and method. US Patent 6,145,979, 14 Nov 2000Google Scholar
- Erbiyikli N (2012) Tekstil ve Moda Tasarımı Açısından Sanat ve Bilim. Akdeniz Sanat Dergisi 4(7)Google Scholar
- Feyler D (2004) UV2D reader, age verification and license validation system. US Patent 10/809,325, 26 March 2004Google Scholar
- Fouassier JP, Rabek JF (eds) (1993) Radiation curing in polymer science and technology: practical aspects and applications. Springer Science & Business Media, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Güneş Y, Talınlı İ (2007) Pestisit endüstrisi zararlı atıklarının arıtılmasında inhibisyon itüdergisi/e. 17(2):79–86Google Scholar
- Iqbal J, Bhatti IA, Adeel S (2008) Effect of UV radiation on dyeing of cotton fabric with extracts of henna leaves. Ind J Fibre Textile Res 33(2):157–162Google Scholar
- Kaizenisg (2012) Ultraviyole ışınlar. http://www.kaizen-isg.com/egitimler/ultraviyole-isinlar/. Accessed 22 May 2019
- Karahan HA, Demir A, Özdoğan E, Öktem T, Seventekin N (2007) Some methods used for the surface modification of textiles. Tekstil ve Konfeksiyon 17(4):248–255Google Scholar
- Karim NM, Rigout M, Yeates SG, Carr C (2014) Analysis of UV-cured and thermally-cured inkjet printed poly (lactic acid) fabrics. NIP & Digital Fabrication Conference. Soc Img Sci Technol 14:92–95Google Scholar
- Kitiş M, Yiğit N Ö, Köseoğlu H, Bekaroğlu Ş Ş (2009) Su Ve Atıksu Arıtımında İleri Arıtma Teknolojileri-Arıtılmış Atıksularin Geri Kullanımı. https://xzenon34.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/5-ileri-aritma-teknolojileri_ders-notu_cevre-gorevlisi-egitimi_aralik-09_m-kitis.pdf.
- Mager D, Pass HI, Tecotzky M (1999) Photodynamic therapy apparatus and methods. US Patent 5,944,748 31 Aug 1999Google Scholar
- Micheal MN, El-Zaher NA (2005) Investigation into the effect of UV/ozone treatments on the dyeing properties of natural dyes on natural fabrics. Colourage 52(1):83–88Google Scholar
- Millington KR (1997) Wool and wool-blend fabric treatment. US Patent 5,595,572, 21 Jan 1997Google Scholar
- Millington K R (1998b) Potential applications of UV surface treatments in the textile industry. In: Radtech '98 North America UV/EB Conference, Chicago, 19–22 April 1998Google Scholar
- Mutlu B, Şen O, Toros H (2003) Ultraviole radyasyonun insan sağlığı üzerine etkileri. III. Atmosfer Bilimleri Sempozyumu, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi, İstanbul, 19–21 Mar 2003Google Scholar
- Özkütük N (2007) Ultraviyole lambalarının kullanımı. 5. Ulusal Sterilizasyon Dezenfeksiyon Kongresi, Celal Bayar Üniversitesi, Manisa, 4–8 Nisan 2007Google Scholar
- Pala ÇU, Toklucu AK (2010) Ultraviyole Işın (UV) Teknolojisinin Meyve Sularına Uygulanması. Academic. Food J 8(1):17–22Google Scholar
- Pappas SP (ed) (1992) Radiation curing: science and technology. Springer Science- Business Media, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Perincek SD, Duran K, Körlü AE, Bahtiyari Mİ (2007) Ultraviolet Technology. Tekstil ve Konfeksiyon 17(4):219–223Google Scholar
- Perkins WS (2000) Functional finishes and high performance textiles. Textile chemists and colorists and American dyestuff. Reporter 32(4):24–27Google Scholar
- Pest Products (2011) Ultraviolet Light, UV Rays, What is Ultraviolet, UV Light Bulbs, Fly Trap. http://www.pestproducts.com/uv_light.htm. Accessed 16 May 2019
- Reinert G, Fuso F, Hilfiker R, Schmidt E (1997) UV protecting properties of textile fabrics and their improvement. Textile Chemist & Colorist 29(12):31–43Google Scholar
- Saravanan D (2007) UV protection textile materials. AUTEX Res J 7(1):53–62Google Scholar
- Sezdi M, Benli İ (2016) Disinfection in hemodialysis systems. Medical Technologies National Congress (TIPTEKNO’16), IEEE, Antalya, 27–29 Oct. 2016. doi: 10.1109/TIPTEKNO.2016.7863132Google Scholar
- Siegel S B (2006) Ink jet UV curing. US Patent 7,137,696, 21 Nov 2006Google Scholar
- Smith F (2004) Handbook of forensic drug analysis. Elsevier, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- UV Teknolojisi (2019) AO Smith Innovation has a name. https://aosmith.com.tr/teknolojiler/uv-teknolojisi/.
- United Nations Environment Programme, the International Labour Organisation, and the World Health Organization (1994). ISSN 0250-863X. https://www.who.int/uv/publications/EHC160/en/.
- Wikimedia Commons (2019) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ultraviolet_LEDs.jpg