Institutional Decision-Making in the EU
- 86 Downloads
This chapter analysis the current political climate in terms of decision-making in the JHA policy. It gives a short account of the most relevant functions of the EU institutions, especially their internal structures, which promote the geographical mobility of workers. Secondly, an emphasis is placed on the actors have the most decision-making powers and responsibilities for the formal and the informal arenas of policy-making from agenda-setting to implementation of policy on immigration. The third section offers an explanation of how the contemporary system of legislative decision-making works at the EU level.
KeywordsGovernance Institutional decision-Making Policy-Circle
- Cini, M. (2007). European Union politics. Oxford University Press. Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2017). President Junker at the December European Council 15 December 2017. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/news/president-juncker-december-european-council-2017-dec-15_en.
- European Parliament (2014). Changed rules for qualified majority voting in the Council of the EU, at a Glance. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2014/545697/EPRS_ATA%282014%29545697_REV1_EN.pdf.
- Eurostat. (2017). Annual growth rate of gross domestic product (GDP) in real terms, EU-28, 1996–2016 (%) statistics explained. European Commission. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statisticsexplained/index.php?title=File:Annual_growth_rate_of_gross_domestic_product_(GDP)_in_real_terms,_EU28,_1996%E2%80%932016_(%25)_RYB17.png&oldid=338466.
- Filomeno, F. A. (2017). Politics of citizenships and migration. Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Hooghe, L., & Marks, G. (2003). Multi-level governance in the European Union. In B. F. Nelson & A. Stubb (Eds.), The European Union, readings on the theory and practice of European integration (pp. 281–311). Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Jachtenfuchs, M. (2006). The European Union as a polity (II). In Jørgensen, K. E., Pollack, M. A., & Rosamond, B. (Eds.), Handbook of European Union politics (pp. 159–175). Sage Publishing.Google Scholar
- Kostadınova, V. (2013). The European Commission and the configuration of internal European Union borders: Direct and indirect contribution. JCMS, 51(2), 264–280.Google Scholar
- Ladrech, R. (2010). Europeanization and national politics. Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- McCormick, J. (2017). Understanding the European Union: A concise introduction. Macmillan Education, Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Nugent, N. (2006). The government and politics of the European Union. Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Nugent, N. (2010). The government and politics of the European Union. Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Nugent, N. (2017). The crisis and the EU’s institutions, political actors and processes. In D. Dinan, N. Nugent, & W. E. Paterson (Eds.), The European Union in crisis (pp. 167–187). Macmillan Education, Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Peterson, J., & Bomberg, E. (2003). Making sense of EU decision-making. In B. F. Nelsen & A. Stubb (Eds.), The European Union readings on the theory and practice of European integration (pp. 335–339; 313–333). Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Princen, S. (2009). Agenda setting in the EU. Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Thomson, R. (2011). Resolving controversy in the European Union, legislative decision-making before and after enlargement. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Versluis, E., Keulen, M., & Stephenson, P. (2011). Analysing the European Union policy process. Red Drop Globe. Macmillan International.Google Scholar