Market Rent Value as a Basis for Profit Margin Calculation in Home Financings Based on Diminishing Musharakah with Ijarah: Possibilities for Implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 124 Downloads
Musharakah is one of the most used Islamic financing models because of the flexibility it provides for both banks and clients and transparency in terms of profit and loss sharing. Most Islamic banks calculate profit margin for diminishing musharakah financings using different external and internal criteria, such as risk premium, costs of sources, client’s rating, and competition margins. Profit margin is often linked to different referent indices, like LIBOR, as financings based on diminishing musharakah are usually long-term financings. Profit margin could also be calculated using a market rent as a base, since the revenue bank receives from a client is actually rent for its share in real estate bought through diminishing musharakah financing. In this paper, we shall analyze possibilities to use market rent as a base for profit margin in Bosna Bank International Sarajevo (BBI), the only bank in Bosnia and Herzegovina that operates according to Shariah principles.
KeywordsDiminishing musharakah Profit margin Bosna Bank International Sarajevo Market rent
- Meera, A. K. M., and Abdul Razak, D. 2009. Home Financing Through the musharakah mutanaqisah Contracts: Some Practical Issues. Journal of King Abdulaziz University, Islamic Economy, 22 (1): 3–27. http://www.kau.edu.sa/Files/320/Researches/54963_25288.pdf.
- Tahir, S. 2013. Alternative Structures for Financing by Islamic Banks. IRTI Working Paper 1434 (3): 98–106.Google Scholar
- Usmani, T. U. 2003. Uvod u islamske finansije (An Introduction to Islamic Finance). Translated by Ahmet Alibašić and Amel Kovačević. Živinice, Bosna i Hercegovina: Selsebil.Google Scholar
- Rama, A., Wardhana, W., Rahman, F. K., and Ferdian, I. R. n.d. Islamic Benchmarking: An Alternative to Interest Rate (Evidence from Home Financing in Malaysia). Paper Presented at 4th CBA International Conference 2010 Global Economic Direction. Available on http://www.cba.edu.kw/wtou/download/conf4/Ali.pdf. Accessed July 2016.
- Centralna banka Bosne i Hercegovine (The Central Bank of BIH). (2017, July). Mjesečni ekonomski pregled, juli 2017 (Monthly Economic Review, July 2017). Available from http://www.cbbh.ba/content/DownloadAttachment/?id=8228ac52-6e67-45d8-8927-605bfe6ab7e7&langTag=bs.
- Federalni zavod za statistiku (Federal Statistics Institute). Cijene prodatih novih stanova, II tromjesečje 2017 (Prices of Sold Newly-Built Apartments, II Trimester of 2017), p. 2. August 21, 2017. Available from http://www.fzs.ba/index.php/2017/08/21/cijene-prodatih-novi-stanova-ii-tromjesecje-2017/prvi-rezultati/.
- Bosna Bank International. 2015. Odluka o profitnim maržama za finansiranja i stopama prinosa na depozite BBI dd Sarajevo (Decision on Profit margins for Financings and Profit Rates on Deposits of BBI Sarajevo).Google Scholar
- Bosna Bank International. 2016a. Akcija Tarifa i uslovi finansiranja BBI – fizička lica, Verzija 1.1 (Tariff and Conditions of Financings for Natural Persons, Version 1.1).Google Scholar
- Bosna Bank International. 2016b. Tarifa i uslovi finansiranja BBI – fizička lica, Verzija 1.2 (Tariff and Conditions of Financings for Natural Persons, Version 1.2).Google Scholar
- Bosna Bank International. 2017a. Akcija finansiranja BBI – fizička lica, Verzija 1.0 (Tariff of BBI Financings for Natural Persons, Version 1.0).Google Scholar
- Bosna Bank International. 2017b. Akcija Tarifa i uslovi finansiranja BBI – fizička lica, Verzija 1.1 (Tariff of BBI Financings for Natural Persons, Version 1.1).Google Scholar
- Bosna Bank International. 2017c. Pravilnik o profitnim maržama za finansiranje i stopama prinosa na depozite BBI dd Sarajevo (Rulebook on Profit Margins for Financings and Profit Rates on Deposits of BBI Sarajevo).Google Scholar