- 73 Downloads
Voters rarely engage directly with political parties or candidates and are therefore reliant upon the media to act as a link between themselves and political parties. Whilst there is limited evidence to suggest the media is able to influence the outcome of elections, it is important in providing information and setting the political agenda. In this regard, we can see the media as advertising elections by offering (potential voters) information about who to (not) vote for and helping to establish the importance of the election/position(s)/institution(s) that the election pertains to. This chapter acknowledges that competing interests limit the coverage the printed media offer to elections and demonstrates that differences exist between the amount of coverage national and local papers offer to different elections.
KeywordsBrexit Local elections Local media Newspapers Police and Crime Commissioner elections
- Berman, G., Coleman, C., & Taylor, M. (2012). Police and Crime Commissioner Elections, 2012. London: House of Commons Research Paper 12/73.Google Scholar
- Couldry, N., & Cammaerts, B. (2016, July 1). Journalistic Representations of Jeremy Corbyn in the British Press: From Watchdog to Attackdog. London School of Economics. https://www.lse.ac.uk/media%40lse/research/pdf/JeremyCorbyn/Cobyn-Report-FINAL.pdf. Accessed 4 Feb 2017.
- Courea, E. (2019a, May 1). Local Elections: Trouble for Tories in Peterborough. The NewStatesman. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/05/local-elections-2019-trouble-tories-peterborough. Accessed 12 July 2019.
- Courea, E. (2019b, April 10). Local Elections 2019: Bedford’s Three-Party Contest Will Be a Brexit Bellwether. The New Statesman. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/04/local-elections-2019-bedford-s-three-party-contest-will-be-brexit. Accessed 12 July 2019.
- Davies, M. (2014, April). Beyond the Ballot: Lessons from Electing the Police and Crime Commissioners. The Police Foundation. http://www.police-foundation.org.uk/uploads/holding/projects/beyond_the_ballot.pdf. Accessed 12 Dec 2018.
- Delahunty, S. (2019, June 17). Local News and Regional Newspapers Hit Hardest by Print Circulation Declines. PR Week. https://www.prweek.com/article/1587719/local-news-regional-newspapers-hit-hardest-print-circulation-declines. Accessed 21 June 2018.
- Doyle, L. (2019, May 3). Local Elections 2019: What Do the Results ACTUALLY Mean? The Express. https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1122339/Local-elections-2019-results-mean-UK-Liberal-Democrats-conservative-labour. Accessed 12 July 2019.
- Electoral Commission. (2013). Police and Crime Commissioner Elections in England and Wales Report on the Administration of the Elections Held on 15 November 2012. London: Electoral Commission.Google Scholar
- Electoral Commission. (2016, September). The May 2016 Police and Crime Commissioner Elections. The Electoral Commission. http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/215074/2016-PCC-elections-report.pdf. Accessed 21 June 2018.
- Essex Chronicle. (2019, April 11). Our Neverending Brexit Saga Might Actually Have Woken Us All Up to Political Debate: THE BIG QUESTION Has Brexit Encouraged More People to Engage in Politics? Essex Chronicle, p. 30. Google Scholar
- Gent, C., & Walker, M. (2018). Alternative Media: A New Factor in Electoral Politics? In D. Wring, R. Mortimore, & S. Atkinson (Eds.), Political Communication in Britain. Cham, Switzerland: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Global Newsstream. (2019). Global Newsstream. ProQuest. https://www.proquest.com/products-services/globalnewsstream.html. Accessed 21 Aug 2019.
- Grimmer, D. (2019, April 5). Anger Over Brexit Sparks Fears for Local Election Campaigners. The Norwich Evening News.Google Scholar
- Gullon, N. (2019, April 30). Local Elections: Brexit ‘Could Have an Effect’ on Outcome in Stockton. Northern Echo. Google Scholar
- Hansard. (2012, November 19). Oral Answers to Questions. Hansard. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm121119/debtext/121119-0001.htm. Accessed 14 Dec 2017.
- Henden, A. (2019, April 30). Local Elections 2019: Can You Vote for Brexit Party in the Elections? Are They Standing? The Express. https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1121150/Local-elections-2019-can-you-vote-for-Brexit-party-local-election-candidates-list. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Hepburn, P., Jeffares, S., & Lee, B. J. (n.d.). All the Gear but No Idea? How Smartphone Wielding Candidates Failed to Engage the Electorate During the 2012 PCC Elections. PSA. https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/conference/papers/2014/All%20the%20gear%20but%20no%20idea%20v3_1.pdf. Accessed 21 June 2019.
- Higgens, D. (2012, November 9). Denis MacShane Says Sorry to Rotherham Constituency. The Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/shamed-ex-mp-denis-macshane-says-sorry-to-rotherham-constituency-8300048.html. Accessed 1 Feb 2018.
- Mason, R. (2012, November 29). Foster Row: Labour Faces Challenge from UKIP in Rotherham By-Election. The Telegraph. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/9710762/Foster-row-Labour-faces-challenge-from-Ukip-in-Rotherham-by-election.html. Accessed 1 Feb 2018.
- McNicholas, A., & Ward, D. (2004). United Kingdom. In B. Lange & D. Ward (Eds.), The Media and Elections: A Handbook and Comparative Study (pp. 25–57). Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar
- Milne, O., Bloom, D., & Bartlett, N. (2019, May 3). Local Election Results Explained: Tories Lose Over 1,100 Seats as Labour Struggle. The Mirror. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/local-election-results-explained-tories-14987175. Accessed 21 June 2019.
- Parker, G. (2019, April 29). Tories Expect to Lose Hundreds of Seats: Local Polls May Is Warned Voters Set to Punish Party Over Brexit Ahead of European Elections. The Financial Times, p. 2. Google Scholar
- Plymouth Evening Herald. (2019, May 2). Local Issues Should Be at Forefront of Elections: OPINION. Plymouth Evening Herald, p. 14. Google Scholar
- Sunday Telegraph. (2019, April 7). Furious Tory Activists Go on Strike as May Woos Corbyn: Donors Close Their Wallets and Campaigners Refuse to Fight Local Election Battles Over PM’s ‘Brexit Betrayal’ We Have Not Witnessed Anger Like This, Say Tory Faithful. The Sunday Telegraph, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Temple, M. (2008). The British Press. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Wilcock, D. (2019, May 1). Don’t Mention Brexit! May and Corbyn both Refuse to Discuss Leaving the EU as They Clash in Commons in Bid to Play Down the Issue Before Local Elections. Daily Mail. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6980157/Mays-silver-lining-Election-guru-says-Tories-better-expected-local-elections.html. Accessed 1 June 2019.