Formation of Nucleosides and Nucleotides in Chemical Evolution
- 516 Downloads
Nucleosides and nucleotides are important biomolecules. Following Gilbert’s (Nature 319:618, 1986) proposal of an “RNA world,” various processes for the formation of nucleosides (from nucleobases and ribose) and the polymerization of nucleotides have been suggested. Problems associated with the formation of RNA have also been pointed out. The constituents of RNA are nucleobases, ribose, and phosphate. Ribose has five conformational isomers or conformers, each of which can react with a nucleobase. In life, however, only the β-furanose form of ribose is used. Curiously, when a nucleobase reacts with ribose in an aqueous solution, only a small amount of nucleoside with a β-ribofuranose component is detectable in the total products. Thus, the RNA world hypothesis has reached a deadlock. Here, we summarize the important points in the synthesis of nucleobases and ribose. We also describe the selective formation of nucleosides and touch on the one-pot synthesis of nucleotides.
- Civiš S, Szabla R, Szyja BM, Smykowski D, Ivanek O, Knížek A, Kubelik P, Šponer J, Ferus M, Šponer JE (2016) TiO2-calayzed synthesis of sugars from formaldehyde in extraterrestrial impacts on the early Earth. Sci Rep 6:23199. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep23199CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rich A (1962) On the problems of evolution and biochemical information transfer. In: Kasha M, Pullman B (eds) Horizons in biochemistry. Academic Press, New York, pp 103–126Google Scholar
- Saladino R, Bizzarri BM, Botta L, Šponer J, Šponer JE, Georgelin T, Jaber M, Rigaud B, Kapralov M, Timoshenko GN, Rozanov A, Krasavin E, Timperio AM, Mauro ED (2017) Proton irradiation: a key to the challenge of N-glycosidic bond formation in a prebiotic context. Sci Rep 7:14709. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-15392-8CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Saladino R, Carota E, Botta G, Kapralov M, Timoshenko GN, Rozanov AY, Krasavin E, Mauro ED (2015) Meteorite-catalyzed syntheses of nucleosides and of otherprebiotic compounds from formamide under proton irradiation. PNAS 112:E2746–E2755. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1422225112CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xu J, Tsanakopoulou M, Magnani CJ, Szabla R, Šponer JE, Šponer J, Góra RW, Sutherland JD (2017) A prebiotically plausible synthesis of pyrimidine β-ribonucleosides and their phosphate derivatives involving photoanomerization. Nat Chem 9:303–309. https://doi.org/10.1038/NCHEM.2664CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar