Feel the Noise: The Promotional Allure of Punk Fanzines
- 218 Downloads
This chapter examines the use of zines to promote the subcultural activities and institutions central to Ottawa, Ontario’s independent punk scene. It argues that zines both promote and emerge from the creative, social and professional activities shaping the city’s music scene. This is accomplished through a close reading of the zines Small Talk, City Slang and The House of Targ Zine that highlights how social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Instagram are integrated within the distribution and promotion of these zines. The chapter concludes that the convergence of fanzines and social media platforms not only suggests the promotional allure of fanzines, but also raises further questions about the commercial value of DIY activities for these social media platforms.
KeywordsDIY Punk Convergence Zines
- Arnold, G. (1993). Route 666: On the road to Nirvana. New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Atton, C. (2010). Popular music fanzines: Genre, aesthetics, and the ‘democratic conversation’. Popular Music and Society, 33(4), 517–531.Google Scholar
- Chidgey, R. (2009). Free, trade: Distribution economies in feminist zine networks. Signs, 35(1), 28–37.Google Scholar
- Duncombe, S. (1997/2008). Notes from underground: Zines and the politics of alternative culture. Bloomington, IN: Microcosm Publishing (Original work published 1997).Google Scholar
- Jenkins, H. (2006). How old and new media collide. New York and London: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Moore, R. (2007). Friends don’t let friends listen to corporate rock: Punk as a field of cultural production. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, 36(4), 438–474.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, A. (2002). Local scenes and dangerous crossroads: Punk and theories of cultural hybridity. Popular Music, 21(2), 225–236. https://doi.org/10.1017/s026114300200214.
- Piepmeier, A. (2008). Why zines matter: Materiality and the creation of embodied community. American Periodicals, 18(2), 213–238.Google Scholar
- Shank, B. (1994). Dissonant identities: The rock ‘n’ roll scene in Austin, Texas. Hanover and London: Wesleyan University Press.Google Scholar
- Straw, W. (2004). Cultural scenes. Society and Leisure, 27(2), 411–422.Google Scholar
- Terranova, T. (2000). Free labour: Producing culture for the digital economy [Electronic version]. Social Text, 18(2), 33–58. Retrieved from http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/soc/summary/v018/18.2terranova.html.
Fanzines, Magazines and Clipping
- Black lives matter on tech wall (2015) (ed. S. Mugoli), Vol. 22, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Bruised tongue 4 eva (2014) (ed. C. Proulx), Vol. 5, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Bruised tongue 4 eva! (2014) (ed. P. Richardson), Vol. 5, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- City Slang: Bruised Tongue! (2013) (ed. T. Boisvenue & E. Sayer), January, Retrieved from http://www.cityslang.ca/i89woxcexmla7sko93n5iv4d9xbpy9/episode3.
- City Slang: Funding drive time and season highlights (2015) (ed. T. Boisvenue & E. Sayer), April, Retrieved from http://www.cityslang.ca/i89woxcexmla7sko93n5iv4d9xbpy9/episode96.
- From the midnight trip of Matthew Blenkarn (2014) (ed. M. Blenkarn), Vol. 14, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- N/A. (2014). Local album releases of 2014. [Web page]. Retrieved from http://www.ottawashowbox.com/2014-local-album-releases/.
- Punk points are for fascists (2015) (ed. D. A. Reid), Vol. 21, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Review (2015) (ed. P. Clark), Vol. 17, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Saxberg, L. (2003, April 3). Exciting times for music fans. The Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/240634556?accountid=9894.
- Small Talk (2013a) (ed. C. Proulx & P. Richardson), Vol. 1, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Small Talk (2013b) (ed. C. Proulx & P. Richardson), Vol. 2, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Small talk mix (2014) (ed. T. Boisvenue), Vol. 13, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- The House of Targ Zine, 10 (2015, January). Retrieved from http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5335e7a1e4b01dab8f088be1/t/54add6d0e4b06532c838bfde/1420678864751/Jan-+v6-WEB.pdf.
- The House of Targ Zine, 22 (2016, January). Retrieved from http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5335e7a1e4b01dab8f088be1/t/568f0551e0327c2cb577ddf2/1452213586551/Targ+Jan+web.pdf.
- The yips: Air loom (2015) (ed. J. Robinson), Vol. 20, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Vance, J. A. (2014). Strange attractor/wtchs/scattered clouds @ Gabba Hey! Vol. 7, Small Talk.Google Scholar
- Vincent, A., & Swain, I. (2015). Connecting Ottawa music: A profile of Ottawa’s music industries. Retrieved from http://kelprecords.com/files/2015/03/ConnectingOttawaMusic_March24_2015.pdf.
- XXXMAS (2014) (ed. A. Why), Vol. 4, Small Talk.Google Scholar