Strategies on Education About Standardization in Romania
This chapter offers an image on how standardization is reflected in the curriculum at different levels of the educational system in Romania which is mainly public. Standardization is of great importance in the context of a globalized world and in more and more areas of life, such as education, health, public policies, statistics, labor market, economics, law and so on. The main objectives of this chapter are: identifying the need for education and knowledge about standards and standardization; establishing the obstacles to this goal in Romania; identifying the actors that could create and implement strategies on education about standardization; analyzing the steps taken so far; identifying the solutions for implementing better strategies and reducing the obstacles. The results consist in offering solutions for increasing the level of knowledge about standardization and establishing the best strategies in accordance with the good practices in Europe.
- ASRO. E-learning courses on standardization. Retrieved from http://www.asro.ro/?page_id=940.
- ASRO. Standardization courses. Retrieved from http://www.asro.ro/?page_id=967.
- ASRO. Standardization courses for the members in the technical committees. http://www.asro.ro/?p=3377.
- ASRO. (2014). Strategia privind activitatea de standardizare nationala in Romania. Retrieved from https://issuu.com/asociatiadestandardizaredinromania/docs/strategia-asro-2014-2020_aprobata-d.
- ASRO. (2015). Educatie despre standardizare. Retrieved from http://www.asro.ro/?page_id=1527.
- Bejan, M. (2012). Relatia standardizare—Mediul universitar. Univers Ingineresc no. 2/2012. Retrieved from http://www.agir.ro/univers-ingineresc/numar-2-2012/relatia-standardizare—mediul-universitar_3575.html.
- Bøgh, S. A. (Ed.). (2015). A world built on standards—A textbook for higher education. Danish Standards Foundation. Retrieved from http://uni.ds.dk/~/media/DS/Files/Downloads/Uni/A-World-Built-on-Standards.pdf.
- CEN & CENELEC. Education and training on standardization. Retrieved from https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Education/Pages/default.aspx.
- CEN & CENELEC. (2011). Masterplan for education about standardization. Retrieved from https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Education/JointWorkingGroup/Documents/Masterplan%20on%20Education%20about%20Standardization.pdf.
- CEN & CENELEC. (2012). Strategic importance of education about standardization: a dialogue with academia and industry. Conference report. Retrieved from https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Education/JointWorkingGroup/Documents/ReportConference2012.pdf.
- CEN & CENELEC. (2017). Joint working group on education about standardization. Retrieved from https://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/Education/JointWorkingGroup/Pages/default.aspx.
- De Vries, H. J. (2003). Learning by example—A possible curriculum model for standardization education. ISO Bulletin July 2003. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/article_bull_july_03_-_learning_by_example.pdf.
- De Vries, H. J. (2014). How to implement standardization education in a country. In K. Jacobs (Ed.), Modern trends surrounding information technology standards and standardization within organizations. IGI Global.Google Scholar
- De Vries, H. J. (2015). Building a community of standards professionals. Paper presented to the 2014 conference of the ICES and published in cooperation with ICES by ISO in January/February 2015. Retrieved from http://www.iso.org/sites/edumaterials/ses-community-of-professionals-2015.pdf.
- De Vries, H. J., & Egyedi, T. M. (2007). Lessons from Asia: Bridging the gap between theory and practice. ISO Focus November 2007. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/iso_focus_nov_2007_-_bridging_the_gap_bertween_theory_practice.pdf.
- Egyedi, T. M. (2009). The state of standards education in Europe. ICES Workshop, Tokyo, 23–24 March 2009. Retrieved from http://www.standards-education.org/uploads/ices2009/European_Standards_Educ_ICES2009_EgyediFinal.pdf.
- Egyedi, T. M. (2017). Teaching standardization in engineering, science, and technology studies. Retrieved from https://www.standardsuniversity.org/e-magazine/december-2017/teaching-standardization-engineering-science-technology-studies/.
- European Commission. (2011). A strategic vision for European standards: Moving forward to enhance and accelerate the sustainable growth of the European economy by 2020. Communication COM/2011/0311 final. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A52011DC0311.
- Faculty of Chemistry, University of Bucharest. Standardization course in chemistry. Retrieved from http://www.unibuc.ro/prof/buleandra_m/docs/cvs/2016ianmihaela_buleandra.pdf.
- Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, University Politehnica of Bucharest. Standardization course in the master’s curricula. Retrieved from http://www.euroqual.pub.ro/cursuri/standardizare-si-legislatie-in-calitate-si-siguranta-in-functionare/.
- Hesser, W. (2014). Memorandum on standardization in higher education in Europe. Haburg, Germany. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/sites/edumaterials/hesser-memorandum.pdf.
- Hesser, W., & Czaya, A. (1999). Standardization as a subject of study in higher education: A vision. ISO Bulletin June 1999. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/article_bull_june_99_-_stdzation_study_higher_education.pdf.
- Hesser, W. & De Vries, H. J. (2011). Academic Standardization in Europe. EURAS. Retrieved from http://www.iec.ch/about/globalreach/academia/pdf/academia_governments/EURAS_White_paper_2011-08-13.pdf.
- Hesser, W., & Siedersleben, W. (2007). Standardization goes East. ISO Focus November 2007. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/iso_focus_nov_2007_-_article_the_european_asian_academic_network.pdf.
- International Federation of Standard Users. (2014). Education and training about standardization. Retrieved from http://www.ifan.org/IFAN-GUIDE%204-Education-2014-09.pdf.
- ISO. (2010). Education securing Korea’s future. Retrieved from http://www.iso.org/sites/WSCAW2010/materials/presentations/07-07-wednesday/02-Afternoon/3-WSC-KATS-final.pdf.
- ISO. (2014). Teaching standards: Good practices for collaboration between national standards bodies and universities. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/publications/en/teaching_standards_pub100354.pdf.
- ISO. (2016). ISO action plan for developing countries 2016–2020. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/publications/en/action_plan_devel_2016-2020.pdf.
- JWG-EaS. (2011, February). Policy on education about standardization. Retrieved from ftp://ftp.cencenelec.eu/EN/EuropeanStandardization/Education/Policy%20on%20EaS.pdf.
- Lee, G. H. (2007). Universities in the Republic of Korea: Training the next generations of professionals. ISO Focus November 2007. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/iso_focus_nov_2007_-_article_training_next_generation.pdf.
- Martis, M. (2014). Strategic importance of education in the field of standardization. In The XIV International Conference “Profesorul Dorin Pavel—fondatorul hidroenergeticii romanesti”, Sebes. Retrieved from http://stiintasiinginerie.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/25-14.pdf.
- Purcell, D. E., & Kelly, W. E. (2003). Adding value to a standards education: Lessons learned from a strategic standardization course. ISO Bulletin July 2003. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/article_bull_july_03_-_lessons_learned.pdf.
- Spivak, S. M., & Kelly, W. E. (2003). Introduce strategic standardization concepts during higher educational studies… and reap the benefits. ISO Bulletin, July 2003. Retrieved from https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/article_bull_july__03_-_strat_stdzation_concepts.pdf.
- Surveygizmo. (2015). Survey response rate. Retrieved from www.surveygizmo.com/survey-blog/survey-response-rates/.
- Verman, L. C. (1973). Standardization: A new discipline. Archon Books.Google Scholar
- Whitney, G., Keith, S., Selvaraj, N., Maguire, M., & Nicolle, C. (2014, May). Employable knowledge: Benchmarking education about standardization in the UK. British Standards Institution. Retrieved from https://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles/en-GB/standards/BSI-Benchmarking-Education-about-Standardization-UK-EN.pdf.